Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to Get from Greek Islands to Kayseri/Cappadocia?

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 05:57 PM
JoJo

We'll be going to Santorini, Paros, Naxos, Mykonos and then want to get to Istanbul & Cappadocia without having to fly all the way back to Athens to spend the night, and taking flight to Istanbul & Cappadocia and back thru to Athens again -- anybody know a good way by SEA???
Makes sense to ferry to Samos and then find an airport to fly to either Istanbul or Cappadocia...anyone ever done this???

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Patrick

Essentially we did what you are talking about but in reverse. Once you get to Samos, you can easily take a ferry to Kusadasi in Turkey (and see Ephesus while there). From there you can fly to Istanbul or Cappodocia (via Istanbul). We started in Istanbul and flew to Cappodocia, but then got a car to drive to the south coast of Turkey and eventually to Kusadasi where we turned in the car and then took the ferry to Samos -- and on to the other islands.

Another possibility is to go to Rhodes and then take a boat to Marmaris in Turkey. You could also rent a car there and drive to Cappodocia. Don't be afraid of driving in Turkey -- the roads are great, very uncrowded, and well marked. (But I wouldn't suggest driving in or near Istanbul).

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 05:20 AM
JoJo

Thanks, Patrick for your advice! How long was the drive from Cappadocia to Kusadasi? Which agency did you use and how much did it cost for the rental car one way? Many thanks!

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 08:16 AM
sinan

dear JoJo,

I know know how you go to CAPPADOCIA first but from CAPPADOCIA to KUSADASI 15 hours NON-STOP with rent a car and I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU TO DRIVE . Because you don;t know the road first and you don't know The Turkish Drivers so I am sure that you have to drive 90 or 100 KM an hour and this trip will be nightmare for you. If you want you can stay one night in Konya and one night in Denizli then to Kusadasi
If you want to get more information write me

Sinan akdeniz

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 07:07 AM
Nejat

THe only way you can fly to cappodocia will be travelling to Kusadasý from SAmos and proceeding to Ýzmir airport and fly to Kayseri via Ýstanbul.
But the fare doubles up.
I suggest that you have to take bus from Kusadasý to Cappodocia over 15 hours.
buses are confortable and smokefree.
rgds
Nejat
Ephesus guide

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Murat

Jojo,
you can't fly direct to Cappadocia, where I live, as Sinan suggested you are better off if you fly from Ýzmir or Bodrum to Kayseri via istanbul. Nevþehir airport is not on operation. So 1 hr. drive from Kayseri to Cappadocia region. The bus ride will be rather exhousting and your next day will be ruined most probably. I aggree that buses are comfortable and smoke free but 15 hrs. is something too.

Should you need amy further assistane let us know.

Bon Voyage...