Cerveteri

Dec 3rd, 2009, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Cerveteri

We'll be doing a transfer from Civitavecchia to Rome. I'm wondering whether it would be worth the extra time/expense to have our driver take us to Ceri. I've read about the town and the tombs, but would appreciate hearing from people who have made this trip. Thank you.
Dec 3rd, 2009, 09:01 AM

The only time I was in Cerveteri was when I visited Tarquinia, and drove through it on my way to Roma. I was sorry I hadn't made time to visit -- although I do think if you have a choice between Tarquinia and Cerveteri, you might find Tarquinia more rewarding. It's a fascinating place.

Cerveteria is not what most tourists consider a scenic destination (Cerveteria ships out a great deal of wine, and that industrial side of the town is very much in evidence). But I actually like unpretentious, working class coastal towns near Rome, with their palm-trees, flat promenades and easy-going style.

This website might help you discover what's on offer quite near Civitavecchia:

http://www.elegantetruria.com/explor...itavecchia.htm
Dec 3rd, 2009, 01:37 PM

The towns of Cerveteri and Tarquinia are UNESCO sites and well worth visiting for their pre-Roman necropoli which show how people lived and died here over 3000 years ago. The present towns of Cerveteri and Tarquinia are lively, fun and real . Do try the local wines and try to bring home some extra virgin olive oil we locals work hard to produce...its a very expensive hobby!
Mary Jane (my website is mentioned in the previous post,,,glad someone is reading and aware of it)
Dec 3rd, 2009, 03:48 PM

I opened the website and was immediately struck with the description of Viterbo. Since you can reach Viterbo by local train from central Rome, I think I will include it in our March 2010 itinerary. But I am equally attracted by some of the other places near the coast -- which we could see by car.

Like another poster, I like the idea of unspoiled, workaday towns with some history and scenery. Perfect places to explore in the off season, I find. Thanks for posting. I have bookmarked you site for future reference.
Dec 4th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. For short stop on the way from cruise ship to Rome I'm not so much looking for things like lively and fun. But if there are places of historical interest and if the scenery is especially outstanding or the towns remarkable in one way or another, I'd like to take the time to make the stop. I do think we'd appreciate seeing the necropoli (which are some way out of town, if I'm remembering correctly).
Dec 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM

The Etruscan necropoli are absolutely great. I agree that the one of Tarquinia is even better, but also Cerveteri is a top sight. Be sure to walk, after your visit, around the fenced-off area, on whose back you'll find another street cut into the rock with ancient tombs all along it. No guards, no entrance fees, no visitors there, and very rewarding, too.