Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Walt Disney World to become twin town of Swindon

Dec 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Yes, yes, yes!! Such taste from Disney.

"A Wiltshire town hitherto best known for its railway heritage, Honda motors and Billie Piper, has been chosen as a twin by the Disney organisation.

Swindon beat 24 other UK towns competing for the unique honour. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...re/8399996.stm

Cotswolds? Ha.

Keen sports fans among you will wish to note that the hallowed turf of the County Ground is just out of the picture of the Magic Roundabout, on the left.
Dec 7th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Swindon is NOT in the Cotswolds.

But the mind boggles. Did anyone from Disney actually see Swindon? Or were the alternatives even worse?

Though apparently, other towns round the world are just as aesthetically challenged. Other Swindon twins include Chattanooga (natch), Torun (Poland), Ocotal (Nicaragua) and Salzgitter (Germany).

No, I hadn't either.
Dec 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Is this April 1st?
Dec 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Never said it was in the Cotswolds. I think the result was on the strength of the presentation more than anything.
Dec 8th, 2009, 06:11 AM

Is there common ground to do with cryogenics? Mind you, that's a Londoner's view of life in Swindon.
Dec 8th, 2009, 06:34 AM

!

Disney needs to read up on the definition of 'twin', take a quick look at Swindon and retract this 'honour'! IMO
Dec 8th, 2009, 06:46 AM

Billie Piper makes my trousers stick out. I want to hold her hand.

I don’t want to go to Swindon. Not even for Billie.

Somewhere there’s a Mickey Mouse and Goofy joke straining to get out here.….
Dec 8th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Swindon's useful. It's where Wiltshire's Labour MPs are quarantined.

If Billie piper turns you on, remember that other great beauty Diana Dors was a Swindon lass. Not bad, eh?

But otherwise you're right. I go as little as possible. Occasionally to a football match, very rarely for anything else.

Still, wot a larf.
Dec 8th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Diana Dors was a Swindon lass.>>>

Her real name was Diana Fluck.

'nuff said.
Dec 9th, 2009, 01:58 AM

The thick plottens. I read in this morning's paper that being a "twin" to Walt Disney World appears to mean no more than that your town gets mentioned on a plaque there, for no obvious reason. So WDW gets some free publicity in the UK, and Swindon gets a plaque.
Dec 9th, 2009, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Maybe Disney will send over some of those litter cleaners on skates. They'll be busy.
Dec 9th, 2009, 05:00 AM

Maybe someone at Walt Disney World read the Thursday Next novels and formed some kind of fantasy connection?
Dec 9th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Not to spoil the fun, but ... I believe this is analogous to being "sister cities." It has nothing whatsoever to do similarities between the two locations--but a desire for kinship--and promotion by the Chambers of Commerce.

I live in Nashville and we have "sister cities" that include Belfast and places I've never heard of in Germany.

But you've got me tempted to visit Swindon--just to see if it truly is as horrid as you say ;-)
Dec 9th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Town twinning is to promote cultural and commercial ties (as per Wikipedia. What on earth would tie Swindon to WDW. Are mouse ears now produced in Swindon?
Dec 9th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Joking apart, do visit Swindon, right next to the M4, to see the Great Western Railway Museum (100,000 visitors last year) and the Wroughton Science Museum, which displays overflow from the London Science Museum. There is also a museum and art gallery in town which I admit to never having visited. Wroughton is just outside the town, across the M4. Wootton Bassett, which seems to getting national status is, again, just across the M4.

What you will also see a 60s pedestrianised shopping area which is as characterless as any in the country and could have been used to do aerodynamic testing on Concorde. And some fairly run-down areas and council estates. This is a shame because there are some characterful buildings and roads that are testament to the proud railway heritage of the last 150 years which transformed it from a pig market, hence its name, to a large provincial town.

Still wouldn't want to live there though.
Dec 9th, 2009, 06:28 AM

Well WDW is the magic Kingdom and Swindon has the Magic Roundabout. That should be fun for visiting Americans to negotiate At least an "E" ride. (Showing my age - they don't have "E" rides any more do they?)

We used to live in Wantage and would go to the swimming pool in Swindon (the Oasis??) with the kids as it had a wave machine and beach and stuff, which was all very new and thrilling in the late 70's.
Dec 9th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Part of the winning entry was played on the local TV news and it was quite appealing. The lady who made it said the Magic Roundabout reminded her of the 'cup and saucer' ride at Disney. That left interviewer quiet for a few seconds.

hetismij, the Oasis is still there. The difficulty of the Magic Roundabout is a myth. It is just a collection of mini-junctions. Look out all ways, take it steadily, no problems.
Dec 9th, 2009, 07:53 AM

An "E" ride surely means something else entirely these days (probably also not unknown in Swindon).
Dec 9th, 2009, 07:55 AM

This is basically nonsense. I investigated twining some years ago and there is no no need for twinning to be recipricol. As a result of the small local villages is twinned with Paris and has been ever since (the village sign says so). The mere fact that Paris does not reciprocate is just depressing. Still village parties are extra fun
Dec 9th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Wootton Bassett, which seems to getting national status is, again, just across the M4.>>>>

For the benefit of foereign johnnies reading...

Wooton Basset is the nearest town to the RAF base that the coffins from Iraq and Afghanistan are flown back to.

The locals have started holding spontaneous shows of respect as the hearses go through the town - which have taken on a life of their own and are well attended.

They're completely unofficial - just the local people paying their respects, which makes them all the more moving.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8369557.stm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO