Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Central Rome too intimidating for first time visitors?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found two lovely apartments for our family of four (two children) to rent while in rome for three days next june. One next to the Campo Dei Fiori and another just west of the vatican. The vatican apartment is larger and less expensive. Is the quieter vatican location easier on those who are visiting for the first time or should we stay near the campo?
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Campo dei Fiori is about as central as it gets and I think it's a great, colorful and accessible location. I ALWAYS prefer central, as it offers convenience,lots of options for dining, strolling, and browsing. I don't like having to travel TO the center, I prefer staying in the center and occasionally heading to the outer areas if I have to.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM

I would strongly suggest you stay near the Campo dei Fiori. We stayed in Rome for the first time this year at Hotel Teatro di Pompeo, which is right next to the Campo. The location is excellent and you will be within very easy walking distance of all the main sights, except the Vatican and you can take the bus there. I think you will very much enjoy the area in the evening for dinner in the Piazza Navona or the Campo or simply enjoying a gellato while people watching.
watching.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:17 PM
ira

Hi Aug,

No, it is not too intimidating.

I also suggest you stay in a central area.

Why spend time on buses if you don't have to.

Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM

You'll be caught up in it as soon as you start walking around. It's a very exciting city.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Campo all the way. In my opinion, it's far better to have close access to the action. Makes for easy, interesting strolls, even with no special destination in mind.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:20 PM

We rented an apt for four near Campo de Fiori in June and loved it. I personally wouldn't want to stay near the Vatican - too far from things. You won't care about the business of Rome - it is just how it is!

Here's a link to our trip report, in case you are interested:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34645892
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM

Still keeping in unanimous....Stay near Campo Dei Fiori for all the reasons already cited.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:28 PM

I always stay in the center, usually off Campo dei Fiori, but there is one street off the Campo that I don't much care for. The problem is, I can never remember which one. Perhaps someone here can help. I think it's off the south end (?) and has many shops and also LOTS of vendors who ply their trade right on the street. Incense, African bags, that kind of thing.

That's the only street I'd avoid. I've stayed in apaertments on via del Pellegrino and via dei Cappellari and enjoyed both. I think the Campo is a great location.

And Rome, well, what can I say? Phenomenal.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:29 PM

The only intimidating thing about Rome is crossing the street (particularly near the Victor Emmanuel monument). My advice is to attach yourself to a Nun or a mother with a baby and don't break stride.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:32 PM

I agree with Catbert; I didn't find Rome intimidating in the least. I love the hustle and bustle of the city, but I don't really find it too intimidating. That being said, definitely stay around Campo. Its a much more central location and a great area.

Tracy
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Now I'm really torn- I like the apartment better near the vatican but it sounds like the campo location is the wiser choice.

Look at these two apartments - has anyone ever stayed at either?
http://www.atticocampodeifiori.com/

http://www.vrbo.com/19643
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM

If you stay near the vatican, you will have either a fairly good distance to walk with kids or a much higher taxi bill....
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Oh, are you kidding, Augsbut?? I really like the Campo one better. You don't think it's cute?

Thanks for turning me on to the Campo attic apartment. And by the way, it's not on the one-and-only street I don't care for in that area.

Good luck.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I think it is far more intimidating for the first time visitor to have to get public transportation to get to and from all the sights from their apartment than it is to stay in the middle of the action and walk most places. And at the end of the day, I would much rather stay in my own neighborhood for dinner and walking around if I am tired after a day of touring.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM

I like the Campo apartment better too. The other one is too out of the way. You'll be walking your feet off. Well, you will anyway, but that one will be too far from the evening strolls around the Piazza Navona with your gelato.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:06 PM

Wow, that Campo Apartment is nice!!!

I would not shy away from the Campo location. I think it is far more overwhelming to be a bit more out of the way and constantly navigating transportation issues than to be in the Centro Storico.

You will love being near the Campo, you can shop there for your provisions, and there are so many great restaurants in that area, plus you are close to Trastevere, Piazza Navona, the Pantheon and the Ghetto. Eating well will not be a problem. From that location, you will walk right up to Corso Vittorio Emanuele and Largo Argentina and you are at a major transportation hub for buses, trams and taxis.

I congratulate you on a good find! Go for it. It will be great.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Well Augsbut, my vote goes for the Campo Dei Fiori location also. And I agree with Nikki, staying west of the vatican would be more intimidating for me, worrying about taxis, public transportion etc. Best wishes to you on your decision! And have a beautiful time in Rome.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:13 PM

The more central location at Campo de Fiori is MUCH better. The Vatican is quite a ways away from Old Rome, and you will pay more for taxis, plus spend more valuable time "commuting" to see the sights. Except on the day you go see the Vatican.

Also, I found Rome to be overwhelming when we went in 2003. This was after a few days in London and Paris, which seemed downright hospitable in comparison.

Looking back, if I'd just known that it was an older, louder, busier city than the others with an edge to it (less friendly people, namely in my experience) I would have expected less of it and enjoyed it more as a result.

Now I feel I'm ready to go back for a week and really appreciate Rome for what it is, not what I hoped it would be.

Happy travels.

Jules
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:25 PM

The Campo Apt looks fantastic to me! I'd almost rent it myself for a MArch trip but it is a bit bigger than 2 people need! We like to stay in the central historic area ,Navonna, pantheon , via guila( nr Campo de fiori), spanish stairs. I don't know what everyone here is talking about...the vatican is too far to walk! In over 9 trips to Rome, I don't ever recall using the subway, taking just a few buses to get to some out of the way places, and minimal taxi use. Maybe we are just more into walking and strolling along than most. I know on our last week in Rome a year ago we took 1 taxi..and that was just because we lingered a bit too long over our wine in the Pza near the Pantheon and would have missed our dinner reservation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -