Central/Northern European Hop Around

Old Mar 12th, 2022, 07:17 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Central/Northern European Hop Around

Hello! Last night I hatched a template for a central-northern European trip that starts in Berlin and ends in Riga. Would love your insights on each place, sights/activities you enjoyed, if you think any given place really needs more time than Iíve allotted, if thereís a worthy day trip from any one of the bases, etc.

I would like to add a couple days in a relaxing, charming resort town on the sea somewhere so if you know any please suggest.

The numbers in (parentheses) are nights in each place. Traveling in September.

Berlin (3-4)
-train to
Munich (2-3)
-fly to
Gdańsk (2)
-fly to
Helsinki (2)
-ferry to
Tallinn (2)
-bus or train to
Riga (3)
-fly home
limmy is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:39 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,971
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that is fast paced, but at least you're counting nights. I loved Riga, but two full days might be enough. I wasn't overly impressed with Helsinki, but one day does seem a bit short. For my trip Helsinki - Tallinn - Riga start here (links at the top of the page):

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ain-and-shine/

That may also be a bit short for Berlin, especially if you are in to museums and also want to see Potsdam. Start here: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...i-and-sans-ac/
thursdaysd is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:47 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 16,484
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too many flights and an illogical order.
hetismij2 is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:13 AM
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
Well, that is fast paced, but at least you're counting nights. I loved Riga, but two full days might be enough. I wasn't overly impressed with Helsinki, but one day does seem a bit short. For my trip Helsinki - Tallinn - Riga start here (links at the top of the page):

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ain-and-shine/

That may also be a bit short for Berlin, especially if you are in to museums and also want to see Potsdam. Start here: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...i-and-sans-ac/
Yes, it is fast paced particularly when combined with this many flights (vs car/train). I generally donít go for this fast of pace but Iím open to pushing it this time. I have the same thoughts on Helsinki but sandwiched between a flight & a ferry I sensed giving it just one night would be physically/mentally uncomfortable but I might rethink this. Thought on Riga is noted as well.

I think I had a look at your Baltic report a while back. Iíll review again and have a look at the Berlin report too. Thanks for sharing.
limmy is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:17 AM
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hetismij2 View Post
Too many flights and an illogical order.
Canít argue with you on the flights, itís a lot in a compact time, Iím aware. How do you find the order illogical? What would a logical order be? I couldnít figure out a better way but Iíd love to improve on it if possible.
limmy is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:30 AM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,971
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you find the order illogical? What would a logical order be?
I'm not hetismij2, but from the map, it looks like starting in Munich would make much more sense. Skipping Munich would help, too. However, Berlin to Gdansk by train still takes all day, and flying into Berlin may be cheaper than Munich.

I also thought about Gdansk to Riga and flying home from Helsinki, but Kaliningrad is in the way of the direct overland route, plus it's a long bus ride either way. So looks like you're stuck with the flights.
thursdaysd is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:04 AM
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
I'm not hetismij2, but from the map, it looks like starting in Munich would make much more sense. Skipping Munich would help, too. However, Berlin to Gdansk by train still takes all day, and flying into Berlin may be cheaper than Munich.

I also thought about Gdansk to Riga and flying home from Helsinki, but Kaliningrad is in the way of the direct overland route, plus it's a long bus ride either way. So looks like you're stuck with the flights.
Right, thatís how I got to this plan. Berlin & Gdańsk are fixed targets for us. Munich got thrown in because thereís a non-stop flight out to Gdańsk. Then Helsinki got thrown in because thereís a nonstop from Gdańsk. The alternative would be train from Gdańsk to Warsaw, stay a couple nights then fly to Tallinn. Weíve already been to Warsaw so we decided Helsinki makes more sense. Even though Helsinki isnít of a whole lot of interest to me, we could use it for some easy going, restful time. Once I get into real, dedicated research/planning itís possible I flip for the Warsaw option.

The inclusion of Gdańsk is really what dictates this kinda clunky path overall. Itís just not easy to get in & out of. But we skipped it last time for this very reason so the point is to not do that again.

I hate saying this but Iíve been really regretting not having made it to Kyiv while I could. Thatís not a small part of wanting to hit up Tallinn & Riga in case things really go sideways. Husband has been wanting Berlin & Gdańsk for ages so.. here we are.
limmy is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:28 AM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,971
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, I regret Kyiv too. But I did make to Lviv back in 2006. Loved it, made my revisit list, never made it back. Western Ukraine photos: https://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/...Kolomiya-Lviv/

When is this trip??
thursdaysd is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:40 AM
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 623
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
Yes, I regret Kyiv too. But I did make to Lviv back in 2006. Loved it, made my revisit list, never made it back. Western Ukraine photos: https://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/...Kolomiya-Lviv/

When is this trip??
Thank you! Canít wait to read this over tonight. Trip would be in September. Past the heat & heavy tourist season but before possible Covid spike. I know things could change by then in terms of conflict. Plan to make flexible hotel reservations. Change flight to fly home from Paris (revamp entire trip) or something if necessary.
limmy is offline  
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 12:53 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 26,971
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best of luck! I'm immuno-compromised, so no idea when I'm going anywhere, but you are certainly reviving memories. Really good memories...
thursdaysd is offline  
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 01:20 AM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,642
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thursdaysd View Post
Best of luck! I'm immuno-compromised, so no idea when I'm going anywhere, but you are certainly reviving memories. Really good memories...
Looking at it, I think Munich is the outlier. Also, there's a nighttrain Berlin-Stockholm and a ferry Stockholm - Helsinki, all overnight, maybe factor that in too, and concentrate on the nordics. Even Berlin seems strangely placed and could perhaps be the end of the trip, not the beginning.
menachem is offline  
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 09:03 AM
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,179
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think Munich is an outlier too

less is more
bilboburgler is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information