Central Europe Train Tickets...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been researching train schedules on the internet and have found what I need using the German rail website. But for the ticket I need to purchase (one way from Lesce-Bled, Slovenia to Split,Croatia) I am not given the option to purchase the ticket. I've even searched on the Slovene and Croatian rail websites, but can only access the train schedules there.

I will be traveling in September. Am I having this "not available to purchase" difficulty because it is too soon to purchase? I have friends going to Germany in May/June and they said I should be able to purchase 3 months before and that rail tickets aren't usually available 6 months in advance.
But being the way I am I like to have as much (as possible) of my arrangements taken care of well in advance.

Any insight into this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:58 PM

They're right. A lot of times I've seen you can't order tickets before 60 days of the departurer date. Give it some time.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:53 PM

LowCountryIslander, I think you've got two problems here. One is that it's too early and the other is that you're traveling outside Germany. Click on the "i" above the crossed-out shopping cart, and you will see:

"No tickets are available for this connection at www.bahn.de . This is usually the case if the ticket you require is for a transport association, connection to other countries without a DB element or other private railway. Another reason is if the ticket is under the minimum fare for Internet orders (currently EUR 21.00). These tickets can be purchased at your local ticket office."

For more information and input from more knowledgeable posters, you might want to top this thread early tomorrow (Thursday), when the eastern US posters are up and about.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 06:54 PM

I meant the "i" on the bahn.de booking website, in case that's not apparent from my post.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Mary Fran...

Thanks for the information. I thought that might be the case since I was looking on the German website for Croatia and Slovenia. I even looked on the raileurope website and couldn't get any information there either. I wasn't aware of the EURO 21 minimum for internet oders...good for me to keep that in mind!

Thanks for being so helpful!
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM

It's probably a bit late now, but I found a travel agent in Zagreb owned by the railway company. They speak good English and can book reservations and tickets in Croatia and internationally with just credit card details. The good news is they don't add "commission" (you pay the same price as at the station! Also they can arrange for you to collect your tickets when you arrive in Zagreb as they have an office in the main station...no costly "shipping" fees either!!
The telephone number is +385 1 28 11 842. e-mail address (for a quick and full response in English: croatia-express-pazg.htnet.hr

They say you can book up to two months in advance but suggest that one month is sufficient for most trains.

I hope this is useful to your cause!!
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:48 AM

That e-mail address should read croatia-express-pa(at symbol)zg.htnet.hr
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM
Original Poster

RB,
Thanks for the travel agent information...very helpful!