Reload this Page >

cellular phone rental

Search

cellular phone rental

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 05:30 AM
lucky

cellular phone rental

I would like to rent a cell phone while in Italy. Any ideas? Is it better to rent from the US and bring that phone, or rent over there? Can't find any web sites to help rent over there, 1 in the US. <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Rex

A growing consensus is that it is better to BUY a cell phone over there. They are almost becoming disposable. They are pre-paid (with little chips or magnetic cards that meter your time), and there is no "calling plan". <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:04 AM
stacey

Just an additional note to Rex's comment. I bought one in Germany last year and had to have my passport in order to do so. I used it all the time by using an ATT calling card, which means you're only being 'charged' for air time, not the actual call. Calling card that activates the phone lasts a lot longer that way.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Samantha

I went to Italy in Janurary and before I left, I purchased a Nextel phone. You can buy them for international use and its cheaper than "renting" a phone or getting a calling card. Plus the service is great and u can use it in the US as well. Call them!

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 07:52 AM
Janet Race

Don't know if this will help but I just reserved a car for trip to France in Sept and was offered use of a free phone while I had the car. The co I used was Avis. I haven't followed up on the details of the deal yet.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 08:36 AM
Ilene

You can rent a cell phone here in the US upon rental, you get a phone number so that you can be reached while you are still in the US and the same number be reached when you arrive in Italy. They fed-ex the phone to you and pay for the return. It's $20 per week to rent plus airtime. Check them out at www.overseascell.com.

Old Mar 12th, 2001, 03:26 PM
Ger

Luckey, if you travel a lot ... <BR> <BR>I rented a phone a couple of years ago before I left home and it was very expensive. <BR> <BR>I travel to Europe on business regularly and considered buying a phone in Europe with the prepard card service or a phone that would accept the "chip" fom my own cell phone. The prepaid card solution was a more cost-effective solution than the other two. <BR> <BR>Then I discovered that my service provider could offer international coverage (everywhere but Japan & Brazil) through partners. I had to buy a new phone (cute little Nokia at an outrageous price) but it's worth it for me. Together with a "0-800" calling card, the cost for long-distance dialing is not too bad and they added convenience is that I have a local N.A. phone number where anyone can call me (on second thoughts....this is NOT what you want on holiday, is it????). <BR> <BR>Regards