Cell phones in Greece and Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last question before we fly! is it useful/possible to rent/buy a cell phone in Greece and/or Turkey for local use? In S. Africa and Mexico we've done so and it was great for calling ahead for rooms, etc. BUT....is there any point?? Will folks answering mostly speak their native language? My Greek is not yet conversational, but I'm working on it!
If not, what's the easiest approach for making local calls?
THanks again!
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 08:54 PM

When you get to the Athens Airport you can go into the Germanos Store on the Arrivals Level near exit door 5 and pick up a cheap cell phone package that includes a Cosmote SIM card for use in Greece. They will help you activate it. You'll have to buy more time for the phone since the included SIM card only has a couple of Euro already on it. They do speak English in there.
Old Sep 4th, 2009, 08:57 PM

I just looked it up and the phone will cost you around USD $50
and you can put as much extra minutes on it that you think you'd need, and replenish as needed wherever you go. Germanos Stores are all over Greece.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 01:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
you may be able to use your Greek sim card in turkey (although it may be more expensive than buying a Turkish card)
or you can get a Turkish sim card in Turkey, the same way as in Greece.

The Turkcell card has the widest coverage. The other two big operators are Vodaphone and Avea.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the phone info, but I'm still not sure it's a good idea since I don't speak the language. Is English spoken enough to make it worthwhile? Of course, I avoid big hotels, so how about the smaller places? Thanks again for your quick replies!
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Using a Greek SIM card in Turkey will result in long distance charges for the calls you make, _IF_ you can get a signal. Better to buy a Turkish SIM card once you arrive, the same way I suggested you do in Greece.

You're not sure _WHAT_ is a good idea? Practically every business that serves tourists will speak English. Don't worry about that. I don't speak Greek other than a few generic phrases and I've never had any problems communicating.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM

alaska, I find that if I'm calling a small hotel, and I make a point to call between 9 - 11 in the morning, even in a smaller town on an island, someone will speak English... if not the person who answers the phone, then if you say "Parakalo (= Please), English" ... they'll get someone to the phone who DOES speak English. That time of day is best, because that's when people are checking out (and paying), and so the boss is there... or the English-Fluent person.

Certainly in Mykonos-Santorini-most parts of Crete-Paros, no question about this at all... and on about 20 other islands, this approach does work.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 01:16 PM

An-glee-KA means English. "Mee-LAHS An-glee-KAH" means 'do you speak English?'
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!! I do know a little Greek, so it sound like that will suffice. NOW I'm EXCITED!
You've all contributed to what is about to be a great adventure!
Sheila in Alaska