Cell phones in Germany

Mar 20th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Cell phones in Germany

I am looking for the lowest price cell phone service to use for 3 months this summer while in Weimar and Munich. I am willing to buy something on arrival. This will be used only for the briefest calls and emergencies. Calls will be to places in Germany and to US. Ideally, I would like to buy something on arrival in Munich, not necessarily at the airport, though. Any information would be very helpful.
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:59 AM

You have different opportunties.

The German mobile market is serverd by different mobile operators (T-Mobile, EPLUS, O2, Vodafone D2).

The mobile operators sell their own prepaid packages (mobile + sim card). These operators have shops in most German cities.

Alternative the same or similar package is offered by specialized resellers (Talkline, Debitel, mobilcom, base).

The newest development is to buy only a SIM-card (you need to bring your own mobile). The SIM-card is sold via Internet or in different shops. Even supermarkets (Wal-Mart) and coffee shops (Tchibo) sell SIM cards. The mobile operators also sell SIM-cards via Internet. They use a different name for marketing porposes (names are "blau.de" , "debitel-light" , "easymobile" , "simply" , "simyo" .

You have to look into the different price tables, if you want to know price for international phone calls.

Last not least: International phone call rates are via the fixed network much cheaper than mobile phone calls.

Mar 22nd, 2006, 03:33 PM

Look into the mobal world phone; mobal.com/bt. It runs about $49.00, and you are only billed for the calls you make. You get the phone and the number before you leave for your trip. I posted a question about the phone about a month ago and it got good reviews.
Mar 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM

If you currently have a mobile phone where you live now, talk to your phone carrier. I was in Germany a few months ago & found that my current phone in the US worked in Germany and neighboring companies. At the time, my carrier AT&T wireless was merging with Cingular, I visited local shops for both & picked up a little card, about the size of a credit card you can put in your pocket or wallet, they had that showed how to dial overseas (it was the same instructions at both, but due to the merger I wanted to be sure). The rates with the local mobile carrier company for overseas usage was posted on their website. It was really hassle free.
Mar 24th, 2006, 12:05 PM

My son was recently studying in Germany. My husband got him a cell phone here before leaving, which we can reactive any time during a one yr period to use again internationally - which works for us b/c of future plans. I'm sur ethey have other plan options. We were very pleased with the service, we used the phone while we were first in Switzerland for several weeks and then left the phone with my son for a month.

Calls w/in Europe and to the US were easy and clear.

I can't seem to find the paper w/ the info, but do have the number I called when I needed to recharge his account -it was through Cellular Abroad, www.cellularabroad.com - I can't attest to pricing, b/c when we divided up travel duties, this was the one husband got - but we were pleased w/ service.
Mar 24th, 2006, 12:06 PM

>Any information would be very helpful.
At his moment, Tchibo sell their SIM card for 5€ including 10€ of calling credit. Price is 25ct/min to German landlines, 0800 numbers and mobiles. 5ct to other Tchibo mobiles. In summer, prices will have fallen. On ebay, 10!!! used (working) eplus SIM cards sell for 5€.
Mar 24th, 2006, 12:14 PM

Can you rent a mobile phone from the airport? Someone in Italy told me this is what most tourists do.
Mar 24th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Rentals will be far more expensive than buying a phone plus SIM card. Both together sell at 19.90€ including 5-10€ of calling credit. If you don't need the phone anymore at home, throw it away!
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:26 AM

Where can I buy the phone and sim card for 19.99?
Mar 28th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Department stores
Karstadt
Kaufhof

Saturn
Media Markt...

Once you're downtown Munich goto Kaufhof at Marienplatz. The 19.90 phones usually are Sagem my-x1, Motorola C... You won't have a problem finding one! T-Moblile would be best (coverage wise), O2 offers the fanciest cheapos . You'll need to show some ID.
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM

I really have to know - Who are all you guys talking to on these damn cell phones? I bought one, rarely used it and have never felt the need to get another one. I love electronic stuff but the cell phone is the dumbest invention ever...

Mar 28th, 2006, 10:03 AM

Personal Phone Use Experience ---I was travelling 3 weeks in Europe without spouse or children. I had to have some way to stay in touch with them. Plus, 2 of the weeks were driving around Europe. It came in real handy when we found roadblocks on the way to hotels or had bad hotel directions. We called at least 4 hotels from the car to get alternate routes.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the great information. May go for the cheapest phone at telestial.com to get started.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:24 PM

Peteren: Thanks for that link, always looking for a better deal ! Have fun this summer -
Apr 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM

Is there a phone you can buy cheap in Amsterdam and use it in Belgium and Germany too? Sorry to sound so dumb but I don't use a cell phone at home!
Dec 23rd, 2007, 10:22 AM

I have my own cell phone & want to buy a sim card. Where would I buy one in the Frankfurt area? And how much should it cost? I want the least expensive and I will only be using it for a week. I am looking for the information I ask for so please don't second guess me; it just isn't helpful. Tom22 seemed to say there was a Walmart in Germany?? Is there? Thanks.
Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:30 AM

www.smobil.de

SIMs with 10€ airtime on them are 2 for 14.99€ until 1/12/08. Talking with other Smobil customers is 1¢/min for the first 30 days. There may be a Schlecker outlet at MUC - they seem to be on every street corner.
Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM
J62

At the time Tom posted 21mo ago there were WalMart stores in Germany. Not any more. The WalMart business model didn't work in Germany and they sold out about a year ago.
Dec 23rd, 2007, 02:18 PM

Just what I wanted to know -thanks. I'll know what to look for.
Dec 23rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

Mobile video telephony included at 1ct/min.
"Just look where I am, honey"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO