Cell Phone Rental Source.

Sep 1st, 2007, 08:20 AM
RJD
Original Poster

Cell Phone Rental Source.

I plan to rent a cell phone for use in France and Italy for an upcoming trip.
Interested in recommendations on a rental agency based preferably on actual experience. Cost and convienence are both consideration. My current choice is Roberts. Any advice?
Sep 1st, 2007, 09:22 AM
sjj

The experts on cell phones suggest buying an inexpensive phone rather than renting one. The price is comparable, and at the end of your vacation you have a phone for your next trip. The current favorite for cheapness and convenience is a special at Telestial.com. The phone plus sim card costs $49, which price includes $20 calling time. The outgoing calling rate is a little high, $0.99/minute, but incoming calls are free. You can recharge using the phone or the internet, or you can buy a local sim in your destination country. The downside is that the phone is a European dual band and can't be used in the US. For further posts on cellphone use in Europe, search for xyz123 in this forum.
Sep 1st, 2007, 11:38 AM
RJD
Original Poster

Thanks sjj but this solution is a little low on the convenience factor. I really want to rent the phone use it in Europe and send it back at the end of the trip.
Sep 1st, 2007, 11:48 AM

Before you go off in that direction you should read some of the horror stories of people who rented mobile phones and found their credit cards billed for thousands of dollars for non return of the phone or for calls never made.

It is no less convenient to purchase an unlocked gsm phone then to throw your money away on a rental.

In all due respect......
Sep 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM

"...this solution is a little low on the convenience factor."

I don't see how sending back a phone is more convenient than not sending it back.

1) Order the phone from Telestial.com
2) Use the airtime that comes with it
3) Buy a SIM in the country you visit

The next time you're in Europe, only 3) will be necessary.
Sep 1st, 2007, 12:34 PM
sjj

The less expensive of the two phone packages at cellularabroad.com is $69 for 8 to 14 days. I haven't used it, but I've seen it recommended in this forum.
A cheaper alternative would be to get the Telestial phone for $49 and then throw it away at the end of your trip. It's your call.
Sep 1st, 2007, 12:48 PM

I did a lot of reserach on buy vs. rent last year. Eventhough Telestial didn't have such a great promo last year, I bought a phone and sim card through them. Chepaer than renting plus I still have the phone. I am going back to Europe later this year and we'll use it again. Only have to buy a sim card.

If you go the Telestial route, you don't have to "throw it away "!

RJD, I'm not sure what "convenience factor" you are talking about. If you can beat the $49 Promo of Telestial with a rental phone, let us know!
Sep 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
RJD
Original Poster

I need a phone I can use when I arrive. Ready to go, no need to find a vendor of a SIM card, whatever that is. That is my definition of the convenience factor.
Sep 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM

...and when you buy the telestial phone, you will have a phone ready to use as soon as you step off the plane and not have to worry about returning it...and that's a definition of convenience.
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:01 PM

RJD,

Obviously you are not reading the content of people's posts! Either that or you are a very contarian person!

When you buy the phone and sim card from Telestial, the only thing you have to do is install the Sim card and that's it! You'll have a functioning phone!

Rather than take our word for it , go to Telestial website and read all about it! If you insist in renting, google for a rental source.
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:11 PM

Let's review.

• Order the $49 phone with SIM from Telestial by clicking here: http://www.telestial.com/promotions/august/packlite.php

• Charge its battery when it arrives

• Put it in your carry-on

• When you get to France or Italy, start talking

• Top up your prepaid time as required

• Bring the phone home, and save it for your next trip
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM

LOL!!!!
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:31 PM

I am sorry but if you don't even know what a SIM card is, you clearly haven't availed yourself of the tremendous wealth of information here on Fodor's.

I have read up on the matter here for more hours than I care to admit because I want to make the choice that will work for the next 10-20 trips. That's my definition of convenience.

Interestingly, I have never heard of Roberts. Maybe I just missed it because I am convinced that buying is the way to go.
Sep 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM

This post made my night.