Reload this Page >

Cell phone rental in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Jennifer

I'm looking to rent a cell phone while in Paris. So far, every company that I've found on the web has a UK-based phone number. I'd rather have one based out of Paris since that's where I'll be making the vast majority of my calls.<BR><BR>Preferably, I'd like to receive the phone here (because I'm first flying to Amsterdam and then Antwerp before Paris).<BR><BR>Does anyone know of any cell phone rental (hire) companies that are specifically Parisian?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Jennifer

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Fred

Here are a bunch of companies that rent cell phones. In addition to renting a phone from the following companies, here's another idea: For the same cost as renting buy a phone in Paris which is used with pre-paid calling cards. The phone has no subscription or monthly service fees. A Nokia phone is sold at FNAC (multiple locations) for about $135. Service starts in minutes; 30 minutes of service is included. <BR><BR>Voicestream (formerly Omnipoint)<BR>Tel: 1-877-OMNI-2-GO<BR><BR>CELLHIRE<BR>45 Broadway, 20th Floor<BR>New York, NY 10006<BR>Tel: (212) 376 7373<BR>Fax: (212) 376 7383<BR>Toll Free number : 1-888-476-7368 <BR>http://www.CellHire.com/<BR>This one can be used from any country<BR><BR>Rent-a-Cell Express<BR>Suite 440<BR>116 bis Ave des Champs Elysees<BR>75008 Paris<BR>Tel: 011-33-1-53-93-78-00<BR>Works all over Europe<BR>Reserve from here<BR><BR>Go to:<BR>http://www.cellconcierge.com?referrer=FGTOenews2/<BR>works all over<BR><BR>International Phone Rentals<BR>1-888-252-4837<BR><BR>Univercell <BR>Tel" 877-991-CELL.<BR><BR>Rentaphone <BR>Tel: 888-309-8560<BR>They will deliver the phone to you before you leave.<BR><BR>FONEHOUSE (sp?)<BR>at different locations in Paris<BR>One of them is Rue des Mathurins near Rue Auber.<BR><BR>GLOBAL PHONEWORKS: <BR>Tel: (800) 556-0530<BR><BR>CELLULAR PHONES: http://www.kemwel.com/index.html<BR><BR>ACTION CELLULAR RENT-A-PHONE: <BR>Tel: 415 929-0400 <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jan 9th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Fred

Here are a bunch of companies that rent cell phones. In addition to renting a phone from the following companies, here's another idea: For the same cost as renting buy a phone in Paris which is used with pre-paid calling cards. The phone has no subscription or monthly service fees. A Nokia phone is sold at FNAC (multiple locations) for about $135. Service starts in minutes; 30 minutes of service is included. <BR><BR>Voicestream (formerly Omnipoint)<BR>Tel: 1-877-OMNI-2-GO<BR><BR>CELLHIRE<BR>45 Broadway, 20th Floor<BR>New York, NY 10006<BR>Tel: (212) 376 7373<BR>Fax: (212) 376 7383<BR>Toll Free number : 1-888-476-7368 <BR>http://www.CellHire.com/<BR>This one can be used from any country<BR><BR>Rent-a-Cell Express<BR>Suite 440<BR>116 bis Ave des Champs Elysees<BR>75008 Paris<BR>Tel: 011-33-1-53-93-78-00<BR>Works all over Europe<BR>Reserve from here<BR><BR>Go to:<BR>http://www.cellconcierge.com?referrer=FGTOenews2/<BR>works all over<BR><BR>International Phone Rentals<BR>1-888-252-4837<BR><BR>Univercell <BR>Tel" 877-991-CELL.<BR><BR>Rentaphone <BR>Tel: 888-309-8560<BR>They will deliver the phone to you before you leave.<BR><BR>FONEHOUSE (sp?)<BR>at different locations in Paris<BR>One of them is Rue des Mathurins near Rue Auber.<BR><BR>GLOBAL PHONEWORKS: <BR>Tel: (800) 556-0530<BR><BR>CELLULAR PHONES: http://www.kemwel.com/index.html<BR><BR>ACTION CELLULAR RENT-A-PHONE: <BR>Tel: 415 929-0400 <BR>For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 01:42 AM
Vincent

You would be better off buying a pay as you go cell phone, it's actually cheaper than what Fred suggests (? 70-80), and it does work on the spot. France has three main cell phone operators: Orange, SFR and Bouygues. All have informative web sites where you can check the prices and the rates. Once in Paris, there are cell phone shops every 100 meters or so, so you won't have any difficulty buying a handset ! The most efficient chain might be "The Phonehouse" (also on the web, check for branches throughout Paris), the French subsidiary of the British-based "Carphone Warehouse". However, pay-as-you go rates are quite high in France (about ? 0.50 a minute), so I would suggest you mainly use your cell phone to be called and use the ubiquitous (and now, thanks to widespread cellphone use, empty ! ) telephone booths to place calls with a Carte France Telecom available at most newspaper kiosks and all tobaconists.

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:24 PM
jane

i hear that you can't use cell phones in paris...<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Ana

Why wouldn't it work in Paris?<BR>I took my GSM phone to Italy, France, Greece, and Turkey, and it worked like a charm everywhere I went. <BR>Cost of international calls $ 1.80 / min.<BR>Local calls $ 0.40/ min.<BR><BR>Ana

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 01:26 AM
Vincent

In the 60s, Americans used to bring their toilet paper to France, now they "hear" that people can't use cellphones in Paris. Another century, same ignorance... However, Jane, if you were travelling on a Paris bus, or sitting in a Paris cafe, you would wish cell phones were not working in Paris... BTW, I just read that the number of cell phone users in France has now reached 37 million (total population: 60m)

Old Jan 11th, 2002, 04:29 AM
Robert

I use Voicestream as my cellur provider here in the US. In preparing for my trip later this month I checked with them and they "say" my phone (which is a dual band GSM phone) will work fine all over France. Even people who call me from the states won't know where I am , but the phone will find me in France! Rates are a flat $.99 regardless of whether I call around the corner or back to the states. I am assuming they know what they are talking about and it sounds like a pretty good option to me. A little coslty buy easy.

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 03:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I rented a phone from their office in Paris and CELLHIRE completely abused us. We were simple tourists and they simply took advantage of me with all their hidden charges.

I complained and they never responsed, I contested the charge thru MBNA and CELLHIRE had the last word.

Say away from CELLHIRE in France.