cell phone - buy or rent

Search

cell phone - buy or rent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cell phone - buy or rent

I am going to travel around Portugal by rental car and would like to have a cell phone. I would like to buy an unlocked phone to use overseas. Where can I do this and how do I get a sim card for Portugal? I want to be able to add minutes easily as possible. In the future, I would use the phone in other countries.

Thanks,

Bonnie
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:11 PM

Buy one. What is your point of entry in Portugal?
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Buy a triple or quad band phone, making sure that it is unlocked.

I have used the Riiing Sim card for 3 trips and it is very easy to use. It has changed names now, I think it's Global Riiing or something similar.

It works all over Europe without having to change the sim card for each country. It's 39 euro cents per minute, and the prompts are in English (Big deal in my book.)

I have added minutes both by going on line with a credit card and by calling the number. I've always gotten an English speaking person.

The phone number will be from Lichtenstein. If you use it once every 9 months you will keep it activated and with the same phone number. I loan mine out when I'm not going back to Europe within that time frame.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:29 PM

I highly recommend watching the unlocked Sony Ericsson T610's on EBay. I picked up three of them there. They come up all the time. Best is to watch for a while. When you decide to bid, wait until the very end - within 2 minutes of ending time.

The T610 is a terrific phone (even has a camera). If it doesn't come with a manual (and most of them do), you can download it.

Buy a SIM card when you get there.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 04:59 PM

You really only need a dual band unlocked phone that can be used in Europe if you want to take baby steps in this new venture.

It is more practical to either buy a country specific card, or to buy a multi country card as djkbooks suggests.

It is not practical to buy a SIM specifically for Portugal and plan to use it in other countries. The roaming costs would eat up the minutes.

A Ring SIM card can be used in mulitple countries.

Good luck.

Old Jun 6th, 2006, 05:25 PM

For the ultimate simplicity and a phone that works in several companies, and the card does not expire--check www.mobalrental.com
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 07:23 AM

I just checked Mobalrental.com. The price of the phone looks good but the per minute charges are very high.

For instance, to call the US from France it's $1.50 per minute. To call another country from France, it's $2.95 per minute. Ouch.

The real kicker is the incoming calls are charged at $1.25 per minute. The one I use has free (to me anyway) incoming calls.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM

I realize the per minute charges are higher than some, but you can buy the phone at a reasonable price (about $40, I think) and have no monthly charges beyond the calls you make. The most attractive thing to me was not dealing with different cards for every country, and having cards expire--another way you lose money.
The whole issue is complex, but when I compared ALL the costs, I thought mobal was slightly better.
Vera
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:01 AM

I don't think any of the sim cards have monthly charges, but I'm not familiar with all of them, just Global Riiing, Orange and I think I used Mobicart one time. The rates on Riiing were much lower so I'll stick with that one.

Vera, the one you reseached would have a plus going for it if it never expired, or at least would go beyond 9 months. I think I paid around $30 or 40 for the Sim chip.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:02 AM

You can buy an unlocked phone from Ebay.

Make sure that it is unlocked and that it has the correct frequencies for Europe.

You can buy a SIM in each country for as little as E5 or E10. Use them up and throw them away if you aren't going to return. We are not talking about a huge investment here.

Per minute usage costs are sometimes as low as .17 per minute.

If you intend to return to Europe, why rent a phone?

This sound more complicated than it is.
Incoming calls are free.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:10 AM

I just received my unlocked tri band gsm phone from ebay. So, if I am going to Paris, Portugal and the UK, it is cheaper to purchase the SIM individually in each country? I would prefer to get just one that works in all three countries so I wouldn't have to keep informing the parents each time we get a new SIM;new number. What are your thoughts?

Hi Sher!
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Riiing works in all countries as does the one Vera found. I'm sure there are others.

The benefit of a multi-national sim, aside from having to buy a new one for each country is in keeping the same phone number. It was a big issue for me but it might not be for you if you don't have to be "reachable".

Another thing is topping off. Any minutes purchased before you left the country would be wasted. You'd be buying a new sim for each country, each with different instructions, not necessarily in a language you understand. Again, that might not be an issue for you but it was for me.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:31 AM

has anyone used a cingular phone and added international roaming to call and text in italy?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Linda431,

I am leaving on Tuesday. Is there local (USA) vendors that sell these riing sim cards w/o having to send away through the internet? Or can I just as easily purchase one once I arrive in Paris?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Hi Namaka.
We purchased a SIM in Portugal for use there and just topped it off. Easy to do and you can buy them everywhere.
This time we are going to use our Riing SIM (multicountry) that I have even though this is just a single country trip

The nice thing about the Riing SIM is that it has a phone number that is available to you before you leave. The calls go through a Lichtenstein number and you can know what you are paying because all of your calls are from there no matter where you are.
Also, the people calling you will pay as if they are calling Lichtenstein.

The prices are much better than with a mobilerents phone.

We also are going to use the Riing SIM but we have Callback World. So I am going to register the SIM number with them and will actually get billed by them. We only have E5 credit on the Riing SIM. We will not use any of it.

As Vera says, you may want the number before you leave.

Otherwise you can buy individual SIM cards. But of course, it is a different number in each country.

Namaka. Do you have enough time to get a Riiing SIM?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 11:57 AM

Sher,
I doubt I have enough time to get a riing sim if I have to send away for it. I leave on Tues.

I'm just wondering if I could get something in Paris once we arrive that would work in all three countries. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:09 PM

I think you would be able to express a card from one of the vendors, I actually looked it up for you. It is very expensive.

I don't know if you can buy one in Paris. But I know we could have bought one in Lisbon.

The reason we did not was because we were only going to be in one country, it was the first time we used a phone in Europe and we were being cautious. Also the man we bought it from told us the cost per minute was much better with the nonroaming SIM.

Also, I looked at the various prices per minute and they range to about .69 as far as I could tell. The most we paid in Portugal was .34 per minute and the weekends were .17. I don't know what value you get for your money elsewhere. We spent about $65 total and I called eveyone. I called all of my family, I called my girlfriends, just about anyone I wanted to. My family called me, but of course that was free.

But one of the sites I looked at the express service was about $35 plus the cost of the SIM. And when you pay whatever for the SIM, you only get a portion in calling time. The rest is for the service.

You can get a lot of calls for $35 on an individual country SIM. There is a cost for the SIM that does not give you any minutes. Like I paid $25 but only had $10 or $15 of call time initially. After that, I believe the top off was all call time.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:51 PM

Thanks again Sher and Linda431.

I think I'm just going to wait until I get to Paris and see what I can find.

Sorry BonnieN for jumping on your thread.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:57 PM

bookmarking
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 01:19 PM

I agree it's probably too late to order one. That's one drawback to the Riiing card, you can't buy it locally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -