Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Celebrity Sightings - who have you seen?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aside from the travel advice, I thought it would be fun to see what celebrities people have seen while on trips. Part of the fun of going to bigger cities are the chances to see someone famous. Who are some of the biggest celebrities you've seen? Concerts don't count--street sightings only! I've seen Tony Blair and the royal family in London, the pope in Rome and Rick Steves in Germany.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM

I can offer only minor UK TV 'celebrities' whom most readers here won't have heard of. BTW, Tony Blair and the Royal Family are separate entities, despite what Cherie might think.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Jed

'What Celebs have you come across whilst on vacation'

198 responses:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35110236
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:10 AM

We actually have a friend who is a major celebrity. When we go out with him, it's so interesting to see how people react to him, and how he handles it so gracefully.

I told him how impressed I am with his ease with his "fans", who are very imposing at times. I've seen people interrupt his conversations, put cell phones to his face so he can say Hi to their Moms, even put a small dog in his arms to take his photo with their dog.

He takes it all in stride, and people seem to calm down and accept him as just one of the crowd, after all the fuss is over. He seems to enjoy their energy, and is soon singing at the piano bar with everyone and just being himself.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Saw Robert Vaughan in a stationery shop on Kings Road in London. It surprised me, until I remember he stars in a British TV series called Hustle.

Can't really count Clint Eastwood because we went to his bar in Carmel.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM

I saw John McCain and his wife in London at the Churchill Underground War Rooms last March (2008). He did not acknowledge our presence.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM
tod

On a visit to the UK some years back now I was standing on the corner of a street in Soho London with my husband and son, when I noticed the guy rubbing shoulders to my right was non other than the tall skinny (shoes no socks), Rod Stewart!
A week later I saw him smiling down from a billboard in Las Vegas - and looking mighty younger too - fantastic these "airbrushing" techniques!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 08:52 AM

Becks in a Lamborgini (he should have given way to me, but didn't). Brooklyn was in the passenger seat and looked terrified....

That's the only A-lister - he and Posh used to live very near me so I saw them on more than one occasion, usually departing Beckingham Palace in various flash vehicles..

Two C-listers:-

Glenn Hoddle (complete with mullet) at Budgens.

Peter Stringfollow (in a flasher mac) on Eurostar.

Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Kind of strange coincidence, but I saw David McCallum coming out of a hotel in London almost every day for a week a few years ago.

Last November, coming out of the Radio Center Christmas Show, I saw Robert Vaughn.

Two men from U.N.C.L.E.!

Also, Kirk Cameron, during his tv show days, going into the Plaza in NYC. He was extremely gracious and posed for a picture with my star-struck daughter.

Hugh O'Brian on a plane to Houston.
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:14 AM

I was at a work reception last week and Sir Ian McKellen was there.

He's a very friendly guy - very open to speaking to everyone and sticks around long enough for people to have the opportunity to say hello!
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM

Itzhak Perlman riding around on a scooter at the Galeries St Hubert in Brussels, and Rick Steves in one of my photos atop the Duomo of Milan (didn't notice him at the time).
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 09:48 AM
yk

I shared a table with Brendan Fraser during dinner in London last year. We talked during the whole dinner, with me not recognizing who he was until half-way thru dinner.

Orlando Bloom in London's West End. He was coming out of the back stage after a show (he was starring in it.)
Old Jul 27th, 2008, 10:14 AM

I've really no idea.

I rented a house in Umbria a couple of weeks ago from what turned out to be a well-known British actor who, Wiki tells me, has been in over 130 films. I'd never recognise him and I'd no idea what he'd been in.

I was at a party a year or two back where Mrs F nudged me and told me I was sitting more or less next to someone called Brian May. That meant nothing so I asked the nice lady who was obviously his wife about him. She explained he'd played the National Anthem from the top of Buckingham Palace, and when I asked what she did said she was an actress.

Only after the party did anyone tell me she was a soap star called Anita Dobson - much more famous than him. But not in our house.

Mind you: I did manage to recognise Princess Di after standing on her feet at Ascot. She was quite graceful about it, considering I was clearly pissed. If I'd known she was on the loose at the time, I'd have got her phone number.