Search

CDG to Chartres

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2013, 05:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDG to Chartres

We arrive at CDG at 9:40 a.m. We plan to go directly to Chartres. I have not flown into this airport and do not know what to expect in terms of time frame and logistics. I am reading but was hopeful that someone could give me direction.

We do not want to rent a car here. What is the easiest and most logical way to get to Chartres? I have read some about taking the train, but you have to get to Gare Montparnasse and I've read conflicting suggestions on this leg of the trip.

Please advise on the best way to travel from CDG to Chartres.
Thank you!
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:01 PM

If you use the Search function at the top right of this page, the word Chartres will bring up previous posts. Maybe you already have.
"Charles De Gaulle" will turn up a pile of posts. In general, they say CdG Airport is challenging. But you certainly can get to Chartres from the airport by train and these resources can help:

http://www.aeroportsdeparis.fr/ADP/e...assagers/Home/ will help you navigate the airport

http://www.ratp.fr/en/ratp/c_21879/tourists/
is the guide to Paris regional mass transit. It can help you understand how to get to Montparnasse by city rails.
The aeroports website also has information on bus service from CdG to Montparnasse.
Old May 12th, 2013, 06:21 PM

You can take a taxi, bus, or RER to the Montparnasse station and then the train to Chartres. The amount of time at CDG varies greatly. I've had my luggage available immediately but once had to wait 45 minutes for it. There are plenty of trains to Chartres from Paris - one every hour.

Don't forget to validate your train ticket before boarding the train.
Old May 12th, 2013, 07:16 PM

I don't know what you've read that's conflicting about getting to the Gare Montparnasse. It's either a taxi or the RER or the Air France shuttle. Then you buy a train ticket to Chartres and get on the next train.

Like adrienne, when I used to check luggage (eons ago, I haven't for years), I've waited up to 45 minutes. Mine was always the last suitcase off the carrousel.
Old May 12th, 2013, 08:13 PM

The Air France coach for two is €34, a taxi about 50. In a taxi you pay the metered fare an €1 per bag.

As noted above, trains run hourly, so there won't be much of a wait.