Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

CDG to 6th: airport shuttle or taxi for 3 people?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:38 AM
Sue

I know this has been done over and over, but would like some input re this decision. I've done RER (never again early am, with luggage), taxis, Air France shuttle in past but never airport shuttle. Thanks for any help.

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:07 AM
sondra

Hi Sue , I used the shuttle bus ( paris shuttle ) , got back on saturday , going to the airport having used a taxi the week before when we arrived.Shuttle worked out cheaper , i know we were going in different directions at different times of day..<BR>They didn t charge us for the luggage & it was good to meet other travellers in the bus & swap stories as well as getting a final view of Paris as we picked up other customers.<BR>Took me a while to decide to use the shuttle , I was swayed by the very positive comments that I saw on Fodors.<BR>Certainly glad I did take the shuttle & definitely no regrets. <BR>I reserved over the phone with the manager Mark who seemed like a very nice guy with a divine british accent.<BR><BR>Never tried the RER although the whole metro system semed very easy to use.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Christina

This would be a simple decision for me, I'd take a taxi as I don't like airport shuttle buses because I don't like wasting my time, making those arrangements, special calls, potential delays, etc. I wouldn't even think about it when comparing the shuttle cost for 3 people. However, I am guessing you know the cost of the two alternatives, and the shuttle is probably even a little more expensive than the taxi (isn't the shuttle about US$15 a person now?), although likely about the same with taxi baggage costs. It's true, depending on unusual traffic, a cab could cost a few dollars more, so if that slight risk is important to you, I'd suggest you take the shuttle. If it will be a Sunday or after 7 pm, a cab costs about 1/3 more, I think, so that would be another factor in your decision. On the other hand, there is always a risk you'll have problems with the shuttle. I don't really understand why you are considering the shuttle, maybe if you said why, someone could address that concern specifically.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:17 AM
Gretchen

Taxi, taxi, taxi. The cost will be the same or less, door to door service without any other stops. Be SURE to get a taxi marked Taxi Parisien outside the taxi doors--do not take a taxi who solicits your business.

Old May 1st, 2002, 11:21 AM
Sue

Guess I was just being obsessive-compulsive re "best" way to get there; think I will go with the tried and true taxi. Thanks, all!

Old May 3rd, 2002, 05:52 AM
pam

yet another taxi vs. shuttle question: (sorry)<BR>For four people (two adults and two teenagers), the Paris Shuttle cost of $15 (US) per person makes it seem awfully expensive.<BR>Will Paris taxi hold the four of us plus luggage? Can anyone guess cost (arriving in Paris on a Monday morning) from CDG to Les Invalides area?<BR>Thanks for everyone's help on these message boards!!<BR>Pam<BR>

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:22 AM
David

Try & find a parisian taxi that will take 4 of you laden with luggage.<BR>This will be near impossible so you will probably end up having to take 2 taxis.<BR>Take into account you are arriving monday morning the worst day & time for traffic & the fact you are going to les invalides which if i recall means driving into the centre of paris not the outskirts.<BR>Work it out it will be much more expensive, 2 taxis with luggage in traffic ?<BR>If you want to save money then try the RER I would suggest.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:17 AM
Frenchy

ADVICE FROM A LOCAL:<BR><BR>Take a taxi Sue, if you can find one who doesn't have an attitude and will take the 3 of you with your luggage.<BR><BR>If you have the feeling that the driver is driving you around for the sake of making go sky-high, do NOT argue with him, pay and ask for a receipt. Do not leave the cab without a receipt.<BR><BR>RER would be #2 on my list, since the shuttle can be difficult to rely on and they tend to squeeze you to death in there!