Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Catchy Message Title?...No!...Should You Read?...Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've secured ff seats and we're off to Iatanbul on 12/17. Knowing nothing about Turkey, but willing and needing to learn in a hurry, would love some help. We arrive on the 18th, and my thoughts are to continue onto the Cappadocia area, rent a car maybe? and stay for 4 nights. We would travel onto Izmir, to spend 4 nights and lots of time @ Ephasus, and then back to Istanbul for the remainder of the trip. A total of 14 days on the ground, seeking clean moderate lodging (hopefully no more than 100US per night. Oh, and we will have our well travelled, and might I add, well behaved 5 & 8 year old daughters. Doable? I'm calling Turkish Air Mon. to try and figure out the costs of those in country flights, but we are willing to drive if the knowing followers of this board think that's a viable option. Thanks for imput.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 05:07 PM

In Cappadocia, the kids would love to stay in a cave....Esbelli Pension is a keen place..in your price range..Suha (Bill) the owner is a prince...rent a car for driving around the astounding region, then turn it in and fly from Kayseri to Kusadasi..a much better place to tour Ephesus..only 12 miles...stay at The Kismet, overlooking the harbor..lovely lodgings...you'll definitely need a car which you can rent at Autoeurope/Europcar in Urgup, a few blocks from said cave dwellings. Esbelli will send someone to pick you up at Kayseri Airport, and charge about $40..well worth it..or you can rent the car at that aiport and drive to Urgup. Also, suggest you visit Pamukkale one of the days while in Kusadasi....kids will love bathing in the travertines...unique place if there ever was one....
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:27 AM

It is not necessary for a thread title to be "catchy."

It is simple courtesy to mention the destination and a few words describing your issue.

I might suggest <b><font color="blue">Getting around Turkey - fly or drive?</font></b>
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:34 AM

It doesn't matter to ME what the titles say - but it <i>should</i> matter to the poster, since they are the ones wanting someone to give them information on their topic...
You catch more flies with honey, and you catch more responses with a specific title.
If that's too much trouble for you, well...
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you noticed your cute (?) but useless title has garnered <b>one</b> applicable response? Whereas if you had posted w/ a reasonable title you would probably have 5 or 10 or more by now.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<b>Frozen Tukuses in December?...Yes! Should You Reconsider?...Yes!</b>
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:33 AM

Hi cape
seems to me you have attracted all the touchy people to your question and not one has offered advice. I'm not sure but I'll bet they are all men..Sensitive to the last!! Sorry I can't help either just cannot believe the way some people react! Good luck with getting help on your problem1
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
well call me crazy, but it does help get the information you need when you state your destination in the title of the post.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:00 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I did offer advice. I think staying in a cave in Cappadocia in December will be real cold and that the OP should reconsider.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:14 AM

Geez, some people speak about men as if they were some other species!

I suggested trying a more focused title in the hopes of increasing the number of responses cape received.

This is called &quot;assisting.&quot;
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:18 AM

I'm surprised we havn't heard from Rex yet..

;-)

Muck
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:26 AM
rex

I did post... on <i>another</i> thread by this OP - - didn't really want to top this one... but since it already is...

see http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34542032

I'm glad that you at least recognized the need for <i>someone</i> to offer some <i>constructive</i> criticism to this new registrant, Sir Mucky...

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Good Grief! I thought this was being posted under Turkey when it was written. It appears that folks have a lot of time on their hands. Wish that time was spent in a more positve and kind way, rather than pointing out how dumb the title is. I apologize for wasting the time of those who felt their time was wasted. I get the message about titles.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Cape: &quot;<i>I thought this was being posted under Turkey when it was written.</i>&quot;

Just for your future reference -- there is no &quot;Trukey&quot; forum, nor a UK forum, or a France forum or for any other specific country.

Your &quot;<b>Catchy Message Title? ...No! ... Should You Read?...Please!</b>&quot; is lumped in &quot;Europe&quot; along with threads about London, Irish Beer, Apartments in Paris, and trains in Italy.

Clicking on &quot;Turkey&quot; simply allows folks to search for info about Turkey . . . . .
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
cape- hey, it's us people with all that time on our hands who will be the ones helping you find answers to your questions! And I think mostly it *was* stated in a positive and kind way to help you understand how to get the most effective results from posting.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:30 PM

My point was - it isn't wasting <i>my</i> time, it's wasting <i>yours</i>.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 04:57 PM

Hope you will read up on the ancient and more recent history of the area and particularly its 'relationship' with the Armenians the first half of the 20th century.
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

thanks to those who helped w/ Turkey, have reposted under new title.
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:31 AM

Thank you for your contribution Rex.

Keep up the good work !!

;-)

Sir Mucky OBE, MBE, DSO, MBA, 'O'level GCSE and 50 metre swimming certificate.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 03:43 PM

I just read a driving trip report on Turkey, including Cappadocia, in a recent Conde Nast Traveler. At work, so don't know the exact issue. A useful article, I thought. I will look for it tonight (unless another poster has it handy...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -