Catalunya Spain Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to So. France and Spain for a total of 5 weeks in May/June, 2016. France will include a one week bike and barge trip, a week in Provence, a week in Dordogne. We have about 9 days at the end of the trip and want to see some of Spain. We prefer to spend a minimum of 3 nights and not try to do and see too much. Barcelona (and areas nearby) seemed like a good choice. Flying home from Barcelona. We will have a car through much of France but not sure if we will rent a car in Spain. We enjoy hiking and biking, wandering village streets, and sightseeing. Girona appeals to us for the cycling opportunities. Other villages that are appealing include Sitges, Figueres and Cadaques (although it appears Cadeques is difficult to reach without a car). We will want to spend 4-5 nights in Barcelona and are not sure if we should make some of these other locations day trips or stay a couple nights. Any suggestions would be appreciated, including other villages that we may not want to miss.
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 02:52 PM

Girona would be a great place to base for three days before you head to Barcelona. There is plenty to keep you occupied in town, and you can go to Figueres on the train. You could rent a car for maybe just one day to go to Cadaques. Its not impossible to get there without a car, it just takes time. There is a famous flower festival in Girona in May but it sounds like you will go there in June?

Sitges is on the other side (south) of Barcelona, so would make a better day trip when you are staying in Barcelona. Tarragona is also a great day trip.
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 04:00 PM
kja

I agree with rialtogrl about Girona -- lovely place!

I spent about 10 days in Catalunya last May and loved it. You might find some useful information in my trip report; just click on my name to find it.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 23rd, 2015, 08:22 PM

You can take the train up to Vic and stay out at the Parador, a taxi ride from the train station. You might find the area interesting.
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 07:12 AM

again, pics are worth a thousand words...take a look at the pics below for some ideas in the Barcelona, Girona, Cadaques triangle. In my opinion, renting a car from Girona or Figueres for a drive to Cadques to spend a few days there is the way to go. The Dali house near Cadaques can be visited (I believe they still only allow 8 people a day so reservations are a must). Also, the Dali Museum in Figueres is a worthy goal. Have fun.
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 07:17 AM

That should read , 8 people for each sepcified time slot during a day. Playa del Sol, our hotel in Cadaques, made a reservation for us the day before, and it was off season.
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 07:52 AM

-You can take the train up to Vic and stay out at the Parador, a taxi ride from the train station. You might find the area interesting.-

The parador is pretty far from Vic. I would not want to be out there without a car. Unless the parador offers bikes to ride around, is that why you recommended it?
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 08:16 AM

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...ironaCadaques#

For Cas 4075
Old Dec 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. Enjoyed your trip report, kja and your photos, tower. This helps us in deciding what we want to do. Sounds like a car for a couple days to get to Cadaques is the way to go. Merry Christmas to everyone.