Search

Cataluna

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cataluna

My boyfriend and I are planning a one week trip to Barcelona and the Northeast coast of Spain. Neither of has been to Spain, and right now we're considering 3-4 days in Barcelona, with day trips to some of the following--Sitges, Montserrat, Tossa Del Mar, and/or the Balearics (Ibiza or Palma). We're city dwellers looking for a mix of fun and relaxation...any advice on those destinations is much appreciated!

Oh, and we'll also take recommendations of nice hotels in Barcelona if you have them!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 02:34 AM

Hi sls15...

- Tossa is very nice, be sure to get up to the castle lookout.

- DEFINITELY do Montserrat!!!

- I would skip Sitges as it is very run down (las I was there a few years ago) and I was not impressed.

Try to get to Cadaqués as well ( http://pieraedicions.com/cadaques.html ). It is a beautiful little village on the Med. and fave summer resort or Salvador Dalí & Feredrico García Lorca.

- If you wanna head inland a bit, I recommend, Girona, Vic and Besalú ( http://pieraedicions.com/cadaques.html ).

- I am not a huge fan of the "Baleares" but I did enjoy Mallorca and Menorca on a summer vaca a few yrs. back. Best to stay inland there as the beaches are JAM PACKED WITH GUIRIS

Have a ball!!!

Saludos,
jer...

madrid nut, webweaver of www.multimadrid.com and keeper of the plaza-cam & sol-cam
--------------------
rent a cell phone from me for your stay in spain, more info aQ@w.onspanishtime.com
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 03:43 AM

I didn't find Sitges run down - it was charming however it was pretty quiet (I visited in Oct. 2000). I went for a day - had lunch along the water, walked around. I had friends go during high season and they had a great time - but they rented an apartment for 2 weeks.
Another friend went to Ibiza last summer for 10 days and loved it - perfect beach weather every day.

That's a lot to do in a week - Barcelona is incredible. Montserrat is a good day trip. When are you going?
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments. We're going in September, and don't plan on doing everything. We're just trying to narrow down what day trips are worthwhile. Thanks again!
Old Jul 29th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Hey, I was there (Sitges) in the dead of Summer so maybe that affected the way I percieved the town.

Perhaps I should go back on the off season.

Saludos from Madrid,
jer...
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Just back from the Costa Brava....the best holiday we've ever had.
The coastline around Begur - Calella is enchanting, the people friendly, the villages all worth visiting.
I could go on for hours, but instead I'll give you one piece of advice...'Go, go, go, go, go, go go,GO !...to Girona. A wonderful city. No wonder it's the one place in Spain that most Spaniards would want to live !'

(just don't tell anybody about it, it'll be our secret...}
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 02:12 AM

I just got back from Mallorca in July. I would suggest not going to the palma area. The city of Alcudia is very beautiful. The tourists will not be that bad in that area. Also tourist season ends there at the end of august very early september. I also suggest you visit the city of pollenca which is very close to alcudia. Have fun