Reload this Page >

catacombs..............

Search

catacombs..............

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:20 AM
mike

catacombs..............

Has anyone ever ventured into the Catacombs in Paris and is this place interesting or just disgusting.....Is it a worthy historical site? Second time going to Paris and looking into different places we have not yet seen.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Rosa

The catacombs are indeed a worthy historical site; not only are they a reflection of early practices, especially in times of epidemic, but they also were used as a meeting place during the second World War.<BR><BR>As to interesting or disgusting--that's kinda subjective. There are rows and rows of folded skeletons (a row of heads, a row of kneebones, a row of heads, etc.) Personally, I found the whole place fascinating.<BR><BR>Les Egouts, the sewers, were also interesting to me, due to the Roman influence and their prominence in Les Miserables. It's not everyone's cup of tea, though.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Dottie

Have not been in the Catacombs is Paris but have been in the Catacombs of Rome and found them truly worthy of a visit. A priest led us thru giving valued historical information.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Alice

The Paris catacombs are very interesting and I did not think them to be disturbing. The pathway has been improved since we visited, and it is softly lit. There are interesting little signs in French to interpret, saying things like "God is not an amateur at Death" and such.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:19 AM
Alice

I forgot to add that you go into the catacombs thru one entryway, and come out of them somewhere else. (or least that's how it was in 1999). Kind of disorienting if you don't know that up front!

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:34 AM
MaryC

Last time in Paris, the Catacombs was on my list of MUST SEES but I missed my window of opportunity (only open for 2 hours at 2 separate times a day and closed on Monday), so I HAVE TO see it this time.<BR><BR>I just think it would be cool. Sort of a gothic thing. I referred to my last trip as a sort of gothic tour of Paris (which is not hard to accomplish due to the many gothic influences/things).<BR><BR>Alice, I've seen on different websites that you end up somewhere else but where do you end up? At least approximately?<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>MaryC : )

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 08:50 AM
mike

thanks for all the info.....<BR>Does anyone know of the times they open?<BR>Or if it is at night when they open?<BR>And is this a self-guided look or do you<BR>follow a guide?<BR>mike

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 09:03 AM
MaryC

Sure. Sorry about that.<BR><BR>From 9am-11am and 2pm-4pm.

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 09:41 AM
mike

thanks MaryC<BR>mike

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 11:05 AM
Alice

Mary, I wish I could tell you but I got confused so I don't remember now... but it must have just been a few blocks or so, and probably 'around' the corner... I just got out the plan de Paris and got reoriented. I seem to recall this 'lost' episode garnered us a surprise visit to a street market on the way to locating the Denfort-Rochereau metro, so it was kinda fun to get lost (as usual!).

Old Jan 12th, 2002, 01:53 PM
Anne

Dear Mike: Last February my husband, I and our 9 year old son took a tour of the catacombs. It was "super cool". We took a tour with an English speaking tour guide that was wonderful. It is aptly called "The Catacombs" and is run by Paris Walking Tours www.paris-walks.com. Bring a camera, we have a picture of ourselves standing under the sign that reads, Stop, you are entering the empire of the dead. Loads of fun and loads of learning.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 11:20 AM
toptop

topping for Ruby