Reload this Page >

Casual drive between Lucca & Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:11 AM
Gretchen

If you had a day to drive from Lucca to Florence (to arrive late afternoon / early evening) what would you try to see? Is the coastline a possibility?

Old May 3rd, 2002, 06:23 AM
ellen

For one, it's a short drive from Lucca to Pisa.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Gretchen

Yes, we plan to spend some time in Pisa the day before. <BR><BR>We really hope to experience the countryside and my teenagers hope to see some of the coastline. Just not sure what route to take, and what is doable in several hours in the car.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:34 AM
Wayne

Get on the A11-A12 autostrada headed northwest and go about as far as the exit named Versilia; or go about another 5 miles farther northwest to the Massa exit. From there, head to the coast (there will be lots of "Lido" and "Marina" signs) and drive back toward Forte dei Marmi, a very nice spot on the coast. You can get on the coast road at Marina di Massa, after the Massa exit, and follow the road along the coast all the way down through Forte dei Marmi, and then on to Viareggio, then follow signs to Pisa. The autostrada splits at Viareggio going south, with one branch headed to Pisa and the other to Lucca. You'll get a good flavor for the coastal towns and resorts if you take this route, and you'll have plenty of time to stop wherever you like, have lunch, stroll along the coast, and enjoy the trip. If you do take this itinerary, the actual driving time all the way to Massa and back down to Pisa will be no more than 3 hours. You will have all the rest of the time to stop and enjoy some of the places along the way.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 10:36 AM
Wayne

I forgot to mention that from Pisa, Florence is about an hour's drive away. If you choose not to go to Pisa on the way to Florence, you can take the branch of the autostrada back toward Lucca and then on to Florence.

Old May 3rd, 2002, 12:08 PM
Gretchen

Thanks Wayne! It sounds like a great plan.