Castles in Chianti

Mar 16th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Castles in Chianti

I'm going to be in Chianti in May, and I'm having some difficulty determining whether any castles are open for touring -- without wine tastings or winery tours.

It's not that I'm not interested in wine, mind you, but I'm looking to find properties where tourists are welcome to stroll the grounds and see the architecture -- and better still, some interiors as well.

Brolio appears to be one where the grounds are open; know of any others?

Mar 16th, 2006, 05:38 PM

topping
Mar 17th, 2006, 03:59 AM

Here's a link to a very good site which list many, but not all of the castles in Tuscany. Some castles are called fortresses ( fortezza , rocca )The site concentrates more on the historical aspect but sometimes indicates whether it's open to the public. There is also a map which will show you those located in Chianti.
http://www.castellitoscani.com/

Brolio is beatifull and has great views from the outside grounds. You are not able to see much of the inside on the tour though.

Down the road directly from Brolio are 2 castelli in different directions. Cacchiano, owned by the family from Brolio. Different style from Brolio, more of a fortress but suppodely on the top of the second tallest hill in Chianti. Outstsanding command of the countryside. Realy good sunset place. Like Brolio, wine & olive oil tasting available.

Opposite direction from Brolio, Castello Moletto. Another style different from the first two. Tours are part of the wine tasting. You are able to see many rooms in the castello with a guide.

Closer to the town of Greve is Castello Verenzzano. Interesting castello but very heavy commercialized by bus tours due to the winery. If your in Florence there is a very good cafe operated by Verenzzano.

East of Greve is Castello Quercetto. Small castle, nice grounds.

There's a castello in the town of Castllina, hence the name. There are many more castelli beyond Chianti and others I have not seen in Chianti.

All of the ones I have mentioned have rooms are cottages available for rent which may help you see more of the interiors.

Mar 17th, 2006, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much; that's a wonderful website.
Mar 18th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Does anyone know if the Brolio castle is open on Sunday. We are driving from Siena to Florence and thought about stopping there. It looks like a short trip. Is it worth the stop?
Mar 18th, 2006, 11:16 AM

The best site for castles of Chianti is - gues what? - www.castelli-del-chianti.com