Reload this Page >

Castles along the Loire River

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 11:07 AM
Steve

We are heading 2-3 hours south of Paris during our trip next month. With only two days allocated to the loire, any must see castles? Hint, they need to be within driving distance.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 01:21 PM
Andria

I have toured Villandry, Chambord, Chenonceau, Amboise, Fontevraud, Loches, Azay le Rideau, and Cheverny. I love them all in a special way. Chambord is a must see because of it's massive size. I love Louise de Lorraine's room at Chenonceau. I loved Leonardo da Vinci's tomb at Amboise. The gardens at Villandry are the most fragrantly amazing I've ever seen. I would see four chateaux all together, two each day. Read about them and find which ones interest you. No matter which ones you visit, you won't be disappointed.

Old Feb 21st, 2000, 06:21 PM
steve

all the above are good. If I had to do 2 days and see two a day, I would do Chambord and Chaumont one day and Amboise and Chenonceaux the second. If you wanted to drive more, then I might consider Chambord & Chenonceaux one day and Azay and Villandry the second

Old Feb 22nd, 2000, 04:33 AM
jane

I have been to several and my top two were Chenonceau and Cheverny. Remember that timing is every thing. They are closed between noon and 2 pm. It was all magic, and I can't wait to go back. <BR>

Old Mar 9th, 2002, 04:24 AM
JD

Mine may not be the most popular suggestion, but it IS a actual castle and not a chateau. Also, having seen most of the beautiful chateaux, I have to say that Chinon, the castle I recommend, remains in my memory far more pervasively than the rich folks' "houses". <BR>Chinon is all about drama and history. It sits alone on a bluff over the Loire downriver a ways from Tours and all the chateaux, dominating the small town of the same name. The view for miles in every direction from its parapets is impressive. It is easier her than any place I've visited to put yourself back into the time of Joan of Arc, and you must because this is the very spot where the young girl, Joan, first presented herself to the beleagured king of France and offered her services. In fact, the room where the meeting took place, now a ruins, is marked by a plaque. <BR>I love history, particularly turning points such as this one. It was a complete surprise to me to see that plaque and it sent a shiver through me.<BR>If you really want to see a castle, Chinon is the one. And it's free!