Castle Trail

Sep 7th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Castle Trail

Thanks to whoever it was (janisj?) who posted something about the Castle Trail in Scotland. I hadn't come across it before, and I think our 2 hour journey from Edinburgh to Inverness just got longer on next summer's vacation

I am especially enamored of Donnottar Castle, which isn't officially on the 'Trail', but looks to be nearby on the coast near Stonehaven.

That looks like such a wonderful area of the country My mom requested to see some castles on the vacation (I asked each person to list what they 'must' see). I think this should do it!

Sep 10th, 2007, 04:27 AM

Dunnottar is really worth a visit, and is just past the main town area of Stonehaven (which is such a cute little seaside town).

We did the Dee side and the Don side of the river this last trip, along the castle trail. Crathes Castle was really amazing, especially the gardens. I had wished we had skipped Balmoral Castle and gone to a different castle instead (like Drum).

Slains Castle ruins on the coast up near Cruden Bay, are something we saw a long time ago that was really dramatic. Spooky ruins right on the coast. I have amazing pictures from there.
Sep 10th, 2007, 04:49 AM

"our 2 hour journey from Edinburgh to Inverness" =

Please don't underestimate how slow our roads are. Edinburgh to Inverness takes 3-4 hours *without stopping*, *if* you don't encounter any major roadworks. Edinburgh to Inverness via Stonehaven would take 5-6 hours without stopping.

I usually reckon on an average of 50mph, at best, for journeys involving a lot of motorway driving. Another poster here recently reckoned on an average of 35mph for non-motorway journeys in the UK and I think that's about right.

Could you perhaps set aside 2 days to get to Inverness ?
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:09 AM

It's a two and half hour drive from Edinburgh to Aberdeen (we did that drive a lot). A lot of the castles mentioned are nearish Aberdeen...
Sep 10th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I sure hope hope your " " meant you were kidding about 2 hours from Edinburgh to I'ness!

But yes the castles of the NE are terrific - From Dunnottar to Slains to Crathes (the most amazing gardens) to Fraser to MANY others. One of my very favorites is Craigievar - just a jewel box of a Tower House. http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/17/

Sep 10th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I meant 2 hours from Perth to Inverness - at least, that's what it took us in 2000. And as it's all motorway, there were few things for us to stop for (I didn't do research ahead of time)

Sep 10th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

The 'scenic' route as per viamichelin takes over 7 hours from Edinburgh to Aberdeen to Inverness. We will be stopping at several castles and sites, so it will take much longer. Where would you recommend we spend one night? I was trying to avoid doing that - we've got 3 nights in each place, so we don't have to pack/repack/find B&B/check out as often. Is it possible to do some of the southern castle trail on the way up, and perhaps do the northern section as a daytrip from Inverness?
Sep 11th, 2007, 02:08 AM

Do you have a particular reason for staying 3 nights in Inverness ? It's not very nice.
Sep 11th, 2007, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Actually, yes. My mom's family is from that area - McKenzies. We will be visiting Castle Leod, and a couple other sites.
Sep 11th, 2007, 05:20 AM

http://www.agtb.org/castletrail.htm

These are the details. It's on my patch. How may I help you further?
Sep 11th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Come join us for a wee dram while we're in the area??

Perhaps I should try to find a place closer to Fyvie where we can stay the three nights. That way we could explore the area at leisure. We will also be visiting Clava Cairns and other nearby sites. We just don't want our trip up to the Orkneys afterwards to be a too loooong travel day

Sep 11th, 2007, 01:39 PM

Sheila, thank you for the Castle Trail link.
Sep 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM

GreenDragon, it would be my pleasure.

If you're serious about staying near Fyvie, might I suggest the Redgarth in Oldmeldrum? If you want something more upmarket, I can recomemnd that too

Do you know when you're coming? How many of you are there? Are you getting the ferry from Aberdeen or Scrabster to Orkney?
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

We will be in Scotland from June 13 to July 6, 2008. The first three nights are in Edinburgh, then three in the Inverness/Fyvie area, then three in Orkney. We will be driving up the coast and then taking the short ferry over. There looks to be 7 of us total at the moment (two cars worth).

Redgarth looks very nice - I've added it to my list of possibles Downmarket is fine, we're doing this on the cheap for accomodations. Self-catering works as well, if they accept short breaks in June.
Sep 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM

GreenDragon, I don't know if it was you I warned on another thread, but I think you'll be in Orkney during the St Magnus Festival. Have you got your accommo sorted out ?
Sep 13th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

I will soon - working on it. I have been warned about it, but I think someone on another board did that.
Sep 13th, 2007, 12:39 PM

7 is too many for me to offer hospitality too- in the sense of beds. However, if you decide to beam down in our neck of the woods, then do let me offer you some non-resident hospitality.

Keep checking the dates for Meldrum Sports. I think it may be June 21st. It would b eworth a visit but the Redgarth closes that weekend so I'd redirect you to Cromlet Hill.
Sep 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

For Orkney, I'm looking at a place called the Mill of Eyrland - it's a mill converted to a B&B in Stenness, near the neolithic sites.

Janis, Caroline, and Sheila - I would love to meet up with any and all of you to share a pint or a dram while we're there!
Sep 17th, 2007, 03:52 AM

That sounds nice.

I'd be happy to meet up but my current plan is to be in Italy the whole time you'll be here. However, if next year's bonus isn't up to scratch I may have to replan, so keep in touch
Sep 17th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Oh, I certainly will. I'll likely be sprinkling more questions and items as the trip gets closer. Gods, I love planning, it's half the fun of the trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO