Castle hotels in Ireland

Search

Castle hotels in Ireland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Castle hotels in Ireland

Looking for Castles or other special places to stay in or around Dublin, Kilkenny, Cork, and Killarney
Already have plans for B & B's throughout Galway, Inishmore and Mayo. Considering the Clontarf Castle hotel for 2 nights while exploring Dublin. Do you think that is too out of the way and if so any suggestions for inner city locations. We will rent a car but plan on using public transit in Dublin.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM

In Dublin I would only stay in the center so you have easy access to all the sights and especially the theater at night (a wonderful theater scene).

We liked the Westbury, right off Grafton St, and have stayed twice. Did one meeting at Jury's, which I hated - poor food and service and not well maintained although it seems popular for weddings, etc, and another at the Berkeley, not so close to the center but a very nice hotel.
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 09:48 AM

When in Dublin, we stayed in Merrion Mews, an Irish Landmark Trust property. It was centrally located, clean and well appointed. Not a castle, but unique and enjoyable.

http://www.irishlandmark.com/property/merrion-mews/
Old Jun 14th, 2015, 02:41 PM

Most Irish "castles" aren't. They are 19th century manor houses with ornamental battlements. Clontarf Castle incorporates a genuine Norman castle, so it scores a few points on the authenticity scale.

There is a fairly good bus service between it and the city centre - travel time perhaps 30 minutes each way. The hotel is clean and comfortable; the service is good; but I think the place doesn't have much soul - perhaps because so many of the guests are staying only one night.

Some passably good restaurants in walking distance.

Check if there are special deals on your preferred dates. I'd think their standard rates are high in relation to what they offer, but the sometimes give good deals.
Old Jun 15th, 2015, 08:15 AM

In County Cork we very much enjoyed our stay at Bantry House.
Simply stunning and a very special place to stay.
http://www.bantryhouse.com/bantryhouse/

This is in west Cork.