Reload this Page >

castle day trips

Search

castle day trips

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 09:39 AM
me613

castle day trips

i am going to be in london on layover for one day - 8AM to 10:40 PM. <BR>would anyone know any castles around london that i could get to/tour/get back in this time? i have seen the ones in the city and am looking for something a little outside - maybe hampton court, windsor or leed's castle. any other suggestions are welcome, the more medieval the better! <BR>thanks!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:01 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>For access to Windsor from Heathrow, see bus service at www.firstbeeline.co.uk/images/i.pdf <BR>and also info at www.royal-windsor.com/buses.htm <BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:11 AM
Thyra

The best medieval castle is Warwick, but you don't have time to get there in one day and still make your flight. You can save that for next time. I agree with Elaine, Windsor would be your best bet, but another place would be (if you have not been there yet) the Tower of London, though technically not your typical castle ala Warwick it is full of history. It was originally built by the William the Conquerer and subsequently added onto. I love seeing the tunnel (which used to be at the waterline, where they brought then Princess Elizabeth I in for suspected treason against her sister mary. You can also the, I believe Bloody Tower, or is it the White tower, where the two princes (Sons of Edward the 4th) were allegedly killed. If history is your bag, I think the tower may have more medieval then Windsor. But Windsor is really a great day as well.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 10:16 AM
Dave

Knowing whether you are flying via Heathrow or Gatwick is essential to answering this question.

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 12:41 PM
Chris

If you're layed over on a Sunday, forget it. I just rtd. from there and they do track engineering work on Sundays so the lines are all screwed up.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 08:44 AM
me613

thanks for the replies <BR>i am flying from heathrow and will be in england on a tuesday. <BR>i've been to the tower of london - loved it but wanted to try something new this time as i didnt get out into the countryside at all last time. <BR>about windsor - are the towns of windsor/eton anything special to walk around in? <BR>

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 11:25 AM
Marian

Windsor is certainly your best bet. It is so close to Heathrow, you could take a cab quite cheaply. The castle is very interesting and right in the town. Windsor and Eton are really one town - you will have a pleasant afternoon just walking around.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 11:08 PM
Marian

sorry - replace quite cheaply with reasonably cheaply!