Reload this Page >

Castelrotto or Cortina?

Search

Castelrotto or Cortina?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:39 PM
Lesa

Castelrotto or Cortina?

Am planning to spend 2-3 days in the Dolomites in late September purely to hike in the mountains (young couple early 30's). As we have no vehicle could anybody suggest which would be the better location, Castelrotto or Cortina?<BR><BR>Thanks for you help<BR><BR>Lesa

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:41 AM
pat

We stayed in Castelrotto in June There is a bus that leaves about every 20 minutes to the Alpi Suissi where you can hike as long as you like .Beautiful area. You can catch a bus back down at several areas along the way. Don't know if schedule would be the same for September. We found it very practical as a base.<BR><BR>http://www.castelrotto.com/content.asp?L=3&amp;MEN=5610&amp;LEV=1&amp;CHI=1&a mp;ORD=110<BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:21 AM
Martha

Lesa, we were in Dolomites in May. We did not have a car. We found Castelrotto easy to get to and around via public transportation. You can check bus/transportation schedules at www.sii.biz.it We never found time to get to Cortina from Castelrotto due the length of time it takes to get there via public transportation (several transfers etc.). Castelrotto is, from what I understand, a less &quot;glitzy,&quot; which is more to our liking anyway.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:28 AM
Patrick

This summer we spent three nights at Cortina then drove to Castelrotto where we stayed for two nights. It is true that Castelrotto is less &quot;glitzy&quot;, certainly smaller, but seems less true mountains than Cortina.<BR>In Castelrotto we took the lift up to Marinzen and hiked along throught the woods all day getting to Passo Pinei for lunch and then hiking back to town. It was great but not as dramatic as the real mountain hikes he did from Cortina.<BR>Overall, I enjoyed Cortina much more.<BR>By the way we stayed at the Post Hotel Lamm in Costelrotta, right in the center and it was very nice. In Cortina we stayed at Hotel Ampezzo which we liked equally well.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:37 AM
Steve James

Lesa - For hiking in late September you need to check which lifts are running. Check the website I gave you yesterday.<BR><BR>From CASTELROTTO - besides hiking in the Alpe di Siusi, for the most dramatic hikes you would have to take the bus to Val Gardena (approx. 30 mins.), from where there are lifts to the Odle (Seceda lift from Ortisei), Sasso Lungo (from Selva/Santa Cristina) etc.<BR><BR>From CORTINA the main lifts are to Le Tofane. These may or may not be open then. <BR>The Lagazuoi lift on the Falzarego Pass above Cortina runs till late season and is one of the best for high altitude hiking, - but you would need to get a lift up there. <BR><BR>For variety I prefer the Val Gardena area, but without a car I might not choose Castelrotto as a base.<BR><BR>Steve

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:38 PM
Lesa

Thanks everyone, especially Steve for your helpful info, have been using the websites to help with planning, just wanted a personal opinion.<BR><BR>Thanks