Search

Cash from ATM's in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cash from ATM's in Europe

Hello.

Hope you can help me with some info on how to get cash in Europe.
Traveling to Denmark this July and wondering what to do for cash. Travelers Cheques? ATM's? Debit Cards? Credit Cards?
What is the best method to access funds?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!!!
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM

ATM cards work most everywhere. You get the best exchange rate that way. Don't use Traveler Cheques, most merchants won't take them. Use your credit card or cash from an ATM.

http://www.slowtrav.com/tr/tripreport.asp?tripid=1259
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The only way that makes much sense both for convenience and economy - is to use your ATM card linked to a primary checking account.

Of course credit cards work for buying things and paying for your hotel - but to get cash, use your ATM card
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 06:36 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
was posting the same time as dgassa . . . .
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM

Check with your bank on fees.
For example, the Bank of America soaks its card holders $5.00 per pop when using the card off net, which means unless you go to a partner bank such as Deutsche Bank or Barclays, you get clipped $5.00 each time you draw out your money.

BOA seems to think it is doing you a huge favor for letting you have your own money. At times I think BOA is a little confused as to whose money it really is!!

Also, don't make the mistake of using your credit card for spending money unless you are desperate. Such usage is a cash advance and you pay interest on cash advances just like you would at home.

Believe it or not, one educated friend of mine did just that!! He stuck his credit card into ATM slots all over Germany!! He got money ok, and so did his bank!!

Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Use yout ATM debit card.
Old Jun 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM

PS I think there is a related issue credit card gimmick that needs to be commented on: DYNAMIC CURRENCY EXCHANGE.

When a merchant uses this techique, your bill is instantly converted to US $$; you are NOT billed in the local currency. The sucker line is that the merchant is doing you a big favor by billing you in your own currency.
BS in the highest! It is a rip off because the exchange rate is heavily in favor of the seller.

Do not fall for this ruse. Insist on being billed in local currency. If the cashier absolutely refuses, you have two choices: 1. pay cash, or 2. write on the charge receipt "Local currency not offered. Disputing charge."
When you get in a position, dispute the charge.

Of course if the item is non consumable, you have the 3rd option of refusing to make the purchase at all.

I wish I could remember who first posted about this techique for combatting dynamic currency exchange, but he armed a lot of us for the fight against dynamic currency ripoff.
Old Jun 15th, 2007, 12:31 AM

Hi

My cards have the Cirrus/Maestro symbols. Look for an ATM with these symbols - they're everywhere. I've never had a problem. Don't bring TCs. Horse and buggy stuff...