Cascais or Queluz?

Jan 8th, 2003, 08:51 PM
pam

Cascais or Queluz?

We are traveling with 4 adult children and are trying to decide between Hotel Albatroz in Cascais or Pousada de Dona Maria in Queluz - any recommendations? We have never been to Portugual and would welcom suggestions.

Jan 15th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Danielle

I personally have not stayed at either hotel, but I have visited both Cascais and Queluz (I've been inside the Pousada). I would recommend Cascais over Queluz. You will be by the water and the hills. The scenery and the view is definitely better in Cascais. Guincho beach is famous. The cultural scene in Cascais has a lot going on. If you stay in Cascais, be sure to visit the Hotel Muxacho (spelling?)at Guincho beach for a drink or dinner. The view from the bar and the dinning room is stunning. Also, if you stay in Cascais you would have easy access to both Lisbon and Sintra. Cabo da Roca is not far either.

Jan 15th, 2003, 12:33 PM
JohN G

Cascais (pronounced, "Cash-Kie-j")is a small beach resort with a tiny beach. It is very pretty, with little shops and cafes, otherwise, there is not much to do. However, the train will take you right into Lisboa (Cais do Sodre Station)or nearby Estoril. I have not been to Queluz, but there is a beautiful palace there. I, personally, would stay in Lisboa, but, if not, would like the beach and sun of Cascais.

Jan 15th, 2003, 01:23 PM
Teresa

Pam, stay in Cascais. Queluz has nothing worth seing besides the Palacio. It's not a nice place to stay. Cascais is lovely and the Hotel Albatroz is a good choice , it's wonderful, cozy and overlooking the sea. I live in the Cascais area so I know what I'm talking about. Go to Guincho for a seafood dinner. If you need more informations and sugestions feel free to email me.

Teresa

Jan 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Janda

Teresa,
We are planning a trip to Spain and Portugal this fall. If it is ok I would like to email you from time to time with questions. We will be in Portugal for 1 week. We have never been but the more we hear about the wonderful people and great food and wine we are really looking forward to it.

Jan 15th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Anne

I highly recommend Portugal-particularly the Lisboa, Sintra area. We went four years ago with our two kids (then eight and eleven) THe people are great, the scenery is awesome. Lisbon is so atmospheric. We didn't make it to Cascais, but that will be on our itinerary next time. Incidentally, we leave in five weeks for Southern Spain for the first time.

Jan 16th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Teresa

Janda, you're welcome. Feel free to email me with any questions you have. I will be glad to help you.

Feb 27th, 2003, 05:17 AM

cascais is the center of tourism with cafes, people all over. In queluz you will find lots of commuters

Hi
I have found some sites that may help you, for hotels try:
www.hotelsportugal.com
for cars please check:
www.portugal-spain.com
www.drive-portugal.com
www.travelers-portugal.com
May 13th, 2003, 02:06 PM

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Albatroz for three nights at the begininng of our honeymoon seven months ago, and it was by far our favorite hotel experience. We loved getting lost and walking the tiny streets of Cascais, even ventured to an open-air market on a Saturday. If you can get to this market, they sell fresh-baked bread stuffed with sausage that is one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. And we can't say enough about Hotel Albatroz - really a true gem.