Search

Carte Orange

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carte Orange

What is a carte orange? I will be in Paris from Wednesday, 2/22 to Sunday 2/26. Is the carte orange something I should consider purchasing and how do I buy one?
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 10:08 AM

It's a transit pass valid for unlimited rides on the Métro, city bus, RER (suburban rail), trams, and SNCF (national rail) trains within Paris.

They are sold for combinations of "Zones" within central Paris and the surrounding area. A zone map can be found at

<b>http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan.php?nompdf=rer_idf_geo&amp;loc=secteur&amp; fm=pdf</b>

Whether or not you should buy one depends on how much you plan to use the system. Here is an article that explains the economics:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34630342

It consists of a permanent photo ID card (bring a 1x1&quot; picture) and a weekly ticket. Here's the layout:

<b>http://photos2.flickr.com/2398996_0a8a7edfca.jpg</b>
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Yes, you would definitely benefit from a Carte Orange for those days. Wednesday is the last day of the current week to buy the pass. It is valid for travel on Metro and bus--costs about 15.70&euro;. Take a small picture of yourself with you--you can cut it out of a snapshot--about 1/2 inch square.
You shouldn't need any more than the Zone 1 and 2. You buy the ticket at a Metro booth and get a cover to carry it in. Paste your picture in the cover and write the number on the cover on the ticket.
When you use the ticket on the Metro you put it through the slot on the turnstile and retrieve it. Put it back in the cover. When you use it on the bus do NOT put it in the ticket thingy--it will ruin it. Just hold your CO cover up to the driver as you go in. You are there 5 days for use. Therefore if you plan to use public transportation about 3 times per day, it will be a good deal for you. The buses are really a great way to travel around Paris. Try them
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM

You're weird. Right here http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34708686 you say that arrival and departure days don't usually require passes because there's typically little travel except from and to the airport. And I agree.

Now you say that a <i>Carte Orange</i> is <b>definitely</b> a good idea for Linda's Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. What if she's going to Versailles on a <i>forfait loisir</i> for one of those days? Or taking the M&eacute;tro to the Louvre and walking back? Or, or, or...

The <u>correct</u> answer is &quot;it depends&quot; (as my brilliant article cited above points out).
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 03:13 PM

Thank you.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 05:26 PM

ttt
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 06:25 PM

I would recommend Carte Orange - especially if you plan to use the buses, which I also highly recommend. You have plenty of time to take advantage of the enormous bus-taking resources at www.ratp.fr

There are many more bus stops than metro stops (so get you closer to your destination); you do not have to deal with the multitude of hallways, stairways; transfers are far more convenient and require much less walking; and I've never noticed pickpockets on the buses. And, from the bus windows you enjoy all the fabulous scenery along the way and can hop off in an appealing neighborhood and continue on later (without having to worry about using up tickets). People are very, very friendly and helpful (and there's a driver to let you know where to get off) on the buses.

To me, this pass is worth it for the convenience, and it's still a bargain, even if you decide to head for Versailles and need to purchase separate tickets.

While Paris is a very walkable city, I'm one who believes in conserving energy (especially on such a short visit) and saving the time getting from here to there, or even just the opportunity to sit for a bit between destinations. We learned on our first trip that it's just silly to walk to the Louvre, for example, as there is much walking once there.

We typically arrive in Paris on a Wednesday and depart two Sundays after. We always purchase a Carte Orange ticket (we've had passes for many years) immediately upon arrival and another for the following week.

Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:45 AM

We were in Paris a Wed thru Sunday. Since the first day was walking around and getting over jet lag, and the last day was taxi to the airport, on Thursday morning we purchased both the 3-day metro and 3-day museum passes. We definitely got our money's worth.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:51 AM

You got your money's worth with a <i>Paris Visite</i> that costs 18.25&euro; when a <i>Carte Orange</i> sells for 15.70&euro;?

Please explain.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:13 AM

Oops, I may have misspoke (no, I'm not a lawyer). I remember researching whether or not to get the carte orange, and it wasn't available for purchase the day we got there. The 3-day pass was a great alternative. We used the heck out of it.
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 07:19 AM

Where did you find that <i>Cartes Oranges</i> aren't sold on Wednesday? Everything I have seen indicates that they are on sale from Friday through Wednesday.