carrying passport

May 31st, 2004, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

carrying passport

We'll be in Italy for 2 weeks in June. Is it necessary to carry your passport at all times or can it be left at your hotel once you're settled in a city?
May 31st, 2004, 08:24 AM

We always left ours in a safe place (room safe or well hidden in our apartment) and carried a black & white copy on us for ID. We were honestly never asked for the passport (other than upon arrival in the EU, and upon arrival at our apartments or hotels), but we felt it better to have a copy on us at all times.
May 31st, 2004, 08:34 AM
ira

Hi dc,

You can leave it at your hotel. The hotel safe (not the tin box in your room) is the safest place.
May 31st, 2004, 08:40 AM

You might also want to think about leaving a copy with someone at home. It's nice to be able to have it faxed to you if yours is lost and you have to request a new one.
May 31st, 2004, 12:30 PM

I used mine last week in stores in order to
qualify for the 17% tax rebate. Perhaps a copy would suffice, but I kept the original safely hidden.
May 31st, 2004, 02:27 PM

..Would leave in hotel..I always have a xerox of my Id page with me which is never kept near my passport so if lost can get speedy replacement through the embassy or consulate...also if you have more than one valid passport (dual citizens), leave the other at home and can have it fedexed if robbed...(but still carry a xerox of the other passport)..one on the ball immigration official caught the fact that a friend had left on another passport..she had a xerox and police report so no problem).
May 31st, 2004, 02:46 PM

Agree, take 2 copies of the front pages with you and leave two copies home with family/friends.
I have not had problems with potential thieves, but... I played with the Seals in the '70's.
M
May 31st, 2004, 04:54 PM

We go to Europe frequently for pleasure trips...about 25 in last 10 years.

I have always left my passport in the hotel room safe with no problems. I carry a reduced copy of the ID page of my passport in my wallet. It has my page on one side and wife's info on other page. I then laminated it.

If anyone asks you for the number, this is all they really need. A guy in India just complimented me on the idea as I purchased money.

Bottom line: Do not carry the passport at all times...not necessary. Shoot a good copy and use that.