Carry on Restrictions and Train vs Car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We leave Next Week for Rome/Orvieto. We are spending 6 nights in Orvieto/ 3 nights in Rome. We are looking to have a s-l-o-w vacation. Our question is this. We are trying the 1 carry on each and thats it approach. Vitamins? Can we bring them in already opened containers? Also, Body Lotion packed in containers not labled? Transportation question is can we do without the car rental. We have one reserved at the airport to use while in Orvieto only, not Rome, but are having second thoughts. Can we just take train from Orvieto to places easily enough. We have 1 day trip to Florence planned, 1 to Perugia. But how about other hill towns? First trip out of country.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Shouldn't be any problems with the vitamins, assuming they are pills.

Also, no problems on the unlabeled body lotion, as long as the container is less than 3 oz (100 ml in Europe)
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I pack vitamins into snack sized ziplock baggies. No one has ever questioned them.

The body lotion has to be under 3 oz. size assuming you're originating in the U.S.? Labeling doesn't matter, but they're still under the 3 oz. or less containers in a 1-qt. ziplock for all gel/liquids in your suitcase.

I've never been to Orvieto, but I plan my trips to avoid having a rental car. Everyone's different but for me trying to figure out how to drive in Italy would not be a slow or relaxing vacation. You can get most anywhere by train (or bus).
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't been to Orvieto so can't help you w/ that.

But for the other questions: Yes you can take vitamins (or just about anything) in unopened containers, or in baggies, or pill boxes or whatever is convenient. And yes, lotions/liquids/gels can be in any sort of bottle/jar as long as it is 3 oz or smaller. You can't put 3 oz of lotion in a 4 or 5 oz bottle - the container must be 3 oz or less. They don't need to be labeled.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was posting the same time as the others . . . .
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:32 AM

I suspect that a car would be very useful for those "other hill towns" since many do not have railway connections. But have you considered the possibility of using busses to get where the trains don't conveniently run?

There are direct (no change) timings between Orvieto and Florence; timings between Orvieto and Perugia most likely will require at least one change, perhaps in Cortona
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:46 AM

I suggest a car for the Orvieto portion. There are so many beautiful places to visit using a car and the driving is very easy. I see no reason not to rent a car and feel that without one you will be missing so much. I also think that a car will allow you to have a s-l-o-w-e-r vacation. Consider drives to any of the following:

East/Northeast-
Todi
Monte Castello
Narni
Amelia
Citta Di Castello

Further North/Northeast-
Assisi
Spello
Bavagna
Montefalco
Spoleto

North/Northwest-
Montepulciano
Pienza
Val d'Orcia
Pianeastagnio and Mount Amiata
Cortona

West-
Pitigliano
Sorano
Sovana
Roccalbegna
Civita Bagnoregio
Bolsena

Be sure to get a good map. I picked up the Euro Cart Umbria 1:170.000 map at a local shop and it made a big difference in enjoying my trip. I also highly recommend the Touring Club of Italy guidebook.

The train is fine for Florence and Perugia. I actually would skip these cities and concentrate on the smaller towns and the beautiful countryside. It will be a nice contrast to Rome.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM

I wouldn't necessarily want a car IN Orvieto, but I'd want one to get to the smaller hill towns (or those wonderful spa towns up in the hills) where there's no public transportation. I am a huge fan of being places that are not accessible by train or bus. Since you're staying in Orvieto for 6 days, maybe you should rent a car for half of that so you can really get out and explore, and use the trains and buses for the other three days.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 08:23 AM
ira

Hi J&J,

>Vitamins? Can we bring them in already opened containers?
Yes. My Lady Wife puts them in ziplock baggies

>Also, Body Lotion packed in containers not labled?
Yes, BUT they must be 3 oz or less and all fit into 1 ea 1 quart ziplock bag (1 bag pp).

Enjoy your trip.

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great info, everyone!
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 06:00 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
You can easily train to Orvieto from Rome. I would wait to pick up the car in Orvieto. Relax the first day or two and tour Orvieto. Then do your day trip to Florence by train (you really don't want to drive into Florence). I would think a 3 day rental picked up and returned in Orvieto would be enough. You certainly don't need a car in Rome.