Reload this Page >

Carry-On "Personal Items" Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:14 AM
Tish

My husband and I are planning to each take a 22" roller bag with an attachable carry-on (15"x11"x9") for a two-week trip to Italy.<BR><BR>We were planning not to check-in anything, but I now understand that the attachable carry-on is not considered a "personal item". How strict are the airlines being with the "personal item" definition?<BR><BR>By the way, I know it's an FAA rule, but Delta is the carrier we're using.<BR><BR>Thanks!<BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:28 AM
kate

For non-business class travellers, I would say very strict at the moment. I should also point out that there are many more, thorough, random checks on hand luggage, which can delay everyone considerably. They will also confiscate anything that is deemed to be a potential weapon, so anything like nail clippers tucked away in your washbag will go.<BR><BR>For all these reasons, you will find it much less hassle to check-in everything bar the essentials for your flight. The wait for luggage at the other end will be minimal considering you have to pass through Italian passport control before baggage collection.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:42 AM
Jen

The "personal item" allowance exists basically so women can carry their pocketbooks on board, with allowances for comparable items like briefcases and laptops. <BR><BR>Your 15x11x9 item totals 35 inches in dimensions, not that much smaller than the 45 that is the FAA max for the primary carryon and probably larger than can fit under the seat in front of you. You should check with Delta to see what they're allowing, but in general, no, an item of that size would not be allowed.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:43 AM
Jen

Nail clippers are permitted, it's the nail FILE that's often included that is objectionable. Sometimes, rather than confiscating such an item, the security people will offer to twist off the nail file and return the basic clipper.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 04:11 AM
Tish

Thank you, Kate and Jen! Guess we'll be checking in luggage after all.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 06:12 AM
aj

Just got back from a cross country flight on Delta. Left from JAX airport and I had one carry-on, handbag and a carry-on piece of medical equipment that my daughter needed. In JAX they said the medical equipment would be ok and that they would not count it as my personal carry-on. Departing PDX they would not allow the medical equipment as an allowable extra so I had to scramble to stuff my handbag and items into the acceptable luggage!!! What a mess. I was told that each airport could make up their own mind regarding special requests!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Tish

ttt

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Check It

Check your bags, there is not sense getting to the gate and having them taken away from you. There are rules these days since 9/11 (actually there were always rules but it was lax). I am tired of people thinking they are an exception because they only have "one extra thing they can't possible check". A personal item is a purse or briefcase. Luggage is not personal items.

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
the easy way

Plan to check it. I've always been a "carry-on person" but my last 2 trips faced the fact that it just ain't worth it anymore!<BR><BR>As an aside when I flew British Airways this summer between Seattle / London / Amdsterdam / Geneva... they weighed my 22" roll-aboard and it was too heavy even though the size was OK (besides that I only had a large pocketbook). So they made me check it in and as it turned out it sure make things easier after all!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 10:50 AM
Jen

Topping for Tish