Carnavalet museum

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Helen

Carnavalet museum

Can anybody offer advice on this museum? It sounds very interesting to me, is it a worthwhile stop? How much time does it take in general to explore this museum?

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Fred

One of the best, most interesting museums in Paris. Go. Figure a couple of hours. For more Paris information e-mail me: [email protected]

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Beth

My husband and I sort of "discovered" this museum by chance -- we spent about an hour and a half there and did find it quite interesting (we had our museum pass, so we just popped in). One small drawback for us -- the text panels were all in French (makes sense in Paris, huh) so that we were not able to get the full meaning of some of the artifacts. However, they have a great display on the Revolution and some other wonderful things. It wouldn't be at the top of my list but definitely worthwhile.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 08:13 AM

I really enjoyed this small museum. I especially like the period furnished rooms. Everything was in French and the docents gaurding the place did not speak English. Now, don't jump on me, I do speak French but I thought if they wanted to educate non-French speaking persons on the superiorness of the French culture, they could communicate that information more effectively in the native language of the persons they wished to convert. As it was, if you did not speak French, you wouldn't learn a thing except the French make pretty fancy stuff.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:26 AM
Gretchen

It is one of our favorites--a beautiful museum which depicts the history of Paris in art. Interesting concept and well done.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 10:57 AM
Kathleen

The Carnavelet happened to be the first museum I visited in Paris, this past January. I did enjoy it, but discovered how quickly you could get through a museum when nothing is in your own language! Definitely worth an hour or so, and makes a good combo with the Musee Picasso as you tour Le Marais.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:06 AM
xx

This is a museum about the history of Paris and is very interesting. Be sure you make it to the lower level to see the Roman to Medieval Paris expo. The artwork is interesting and so are the "rooms" from old homes etc.There are many objects d'art and it is a nice change from the Louvre or d'Orsay

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Billy

Try to pick up a copy of "The unofficial guide to Paris". I just got one and really enjoy it. The authors rate every museum, monument, etc. with a 5 star rating, each for children, young adults, seniors, etc. I'll look up their rating tonight and post their review here.<BR><BR>I've found that their "DisneyWorld" version is a MUST for seeing Disney. I always look for "The unofficial guide to ..." where ever I travel now.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 12:22 PM
z

Re: Carnavalet<BR>It's a very interesting museum even if you don't read French. Paris has a rich history. Seeing how the city evolved through historical paintings adds a new perspective to contemporary sightseeing.<BR><BR>Re: Unofficial Guides<BR>I like how they rate attractions by different age groups, but I can't stand their Zone system. In the case of Paris, they inexplicably split the city into self-defined numbered zones rather than using the arrondissements that everyone else uses.<BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:03 PM
nancy

If you love history you will thoroughly enjoy this museum. Think approx. 2 hours.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:55 PM
clairobscur

I for one wouldn't highly recommand this museum (at least to a foreign tourist with a limited time)<BR><BR>-There is stuff of very unequal interest. Some pieces are really beautiful, but some others are only of anecdoctical interest.<BR><BR>-The museum is centered about Paris history. If you've have no clue about the events refered to, there are many galleries you'll find uninteresting. And there's no effort made to help you understand. <BR><BR>-The museum is installed in several connected building. It's confusing and difficult to navigate.<BR><BR>-Being a tourist with (I assume) not that much time, there many museums in Paris with better art.<BR><BR><BR>However the decorated rooms and some of the furnitures are really of great interest if you're in this sort of things. As always with mueseums, it depends on your tastes. If you can stay one hour watching in awe to a collection of flint spearpoints but could never get the XX° century art, the St-Germain antiquities museum is certainly worth a visit, while the Picasso museum is best to avoid. Similarily, if you think you'll be highly interested in the XVI° century wall paintings or XVIII° century chinas, you'll probably enjoy the Carnavalet.<BR><BR>It's quite difficult to describe the content of the museum, since it's extremely varied. It appears to me as a large upscale antique shop (or sometimes flea market).<BR><BR>To sum up, I wouldn't take the time to visit a similar museum situated in some foreign capital I would be touring, except if it displayed something in particular I'm especially interested in.<BR><BR>By the way, the entrance to the museum is now free, except for the temporary exhibitions.<BR>

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 06:05 PM
clairobscur

As for the time issue, I really couldn't answer. It's a rather large museum ( some galleries are open only part of the day, by the way), so if you wanted to visit it thoroughly, you could easily stay there for half a day (or more). Visiting it casually and missing half of the galleries due to the poor signage and the intricate navigation, a couple hours could be enough.<BR><BR>Oh! And you'll climb up and down a lot of stairs...usually two or three times the same staircase in a futile attempt to find the gallery you're searching for...and systematically ending up in front of a collection of XIX° century caricatures or revolution era card decks when you actually want to see a prehistoric raft or reconstitued 1900's jeweller's shop.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:03 AM
Gretchen

I obviously don't agree with Clair. But I did especially enjoy the floor "devoted" to the French Revolution. There is a room of almost cartoonlike art depicting the Revolution. And the art itself deals with scenes of Paris at various points in its history. Definitely worth a look.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:37 AM
to

Topping

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:59 AM
Helen

Thanks for the review from Unofficial Guide, I like the idea of breaking down the review to age groups too. This sounds like its definately worth a peek since we have a museum pass! I appreciate everyone's input!

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 05:31 PM
xxx

Yes, it's a worthwhile museum. And it's also free-at least on the Tuesday we went. There are many rooms which represent different times in French history. Each room has various antiques related to that period.