Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Need advice on spain itinerary (mainly Andalucia)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:06 AM
naomi

I'm planning a trip for my husband and I to Spain for May and would love some advice on the following itinerary. We generally like independent travel (we've travelled in Europe and Latin America on our own before)and a good blend of touring and relaxing (i.e., we don't want to have to drive long disctances everyday). Is this too much time or not enough time in each city/ village? Any advice/ feedback would be great!<BR>Here's the 1st draft of our itinerary:<BR>-- Arrive in Madrid from US; stay for 3 nights<BR>-- Madrid to Seville via train; stay in Seville for 2 nights<BR>-- Rent car from Seville & drive to Cardiz; stay for 1 night<BR>-- Drive to Ronda; stay for 2 nights<BR>-- Drive to Granada; stay for 2 nights<BR>-- Drive to Malaga; stay for 1 night (or should we stay in Malaga 2 nights???)<BR>-- Fly from Malaga back to US

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 08:27 AM
olga

<BR>It sounds great!<BR><BR>Only, instead of Malaga, I recomend you <BR>end your trip with 2 nights in a Costa del Sol resort near Malaga, but not in the city itself. There are nicer hotels in Nerja, Marbella or even Torremolinos, and you can do daytrips to Malaga,Mijas and other nice little villages around there, the caves in Nerja, etc.<BR>That would provide some relaxation after the few days driving around and <BR>the city life of Seville and Granada.<BR><BR>Check out the www.bancotel.com site,<BR>they have great deals in May.<BR><BR>Have a fantastic trip!

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:39 AM
Davidx

I should not spend more than 2 nights in Madrid unless you want to do a day trip to Toledo one day. Definitely not more than 1 night at Malaga. A personal foible of mine is that I do not like the town of Granada- although the Alhambra is outstanding - and therefore I should try to cut this to 1 night. this would enable you to go to Cordoba which is a wonderful city.<BR>If you send me an e-mail I will attach some folders of notes on Andalucia in my reply.

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Maribel

Hi Naomi,<BR>Your itinerary sounds very nice to me too; the only change I might recommend would be to drop the night in Cadiz and add it to Sevilla; but I'm a great fan of Olga and Pedro's Sevilla, and for me 3 nights in my favorite southern city are always best. I also agree with Olga about avoiding the busy city of Malaga at the end and staying somewhere on the coast for rest and relaxation after your heavy touring. From the resorts around Marbella (Las Dunas, Le Meridien Los Monteros, Westin La Quinta, Coral Beach or the lux. Puente Romano/Marbella Club-don't know your budget-but there's something for every pocketbook here), you can reach Malaga's airport, to the west of the city, in a really short time on the superhighway which runs above the coast. And from Nerja it's only about 45 min.to an hr. to Malaga's airport.<BR>The Nerja Parador, although it's modern, has recently been renovated <BR>and would be a relaxing spot to unwind, plus it's a good value in May at 116 euros. Other good value hotels in Nerja as well.<BR>Sounds like a really great trip! <BR>

Old Jan 25th, 2002, 12:37 PM
frank

There is a fast & frequent train train service between Seville & Cadiz.Perhaps you should consider picking up a rental car there instead of in Seville.<BR>If you do rent a car in Seville, dont park it there unless it has Seville plates, it may be broken into.(car crime is one of the few bad points about Seville)<BR> Malaga is a good place, only worth one night IMO, although I've stayed longer & wasn't bored.I'd avoid the nearby resorts (eg Torremolinos) unless you want a swim.I find them tacky, just my opinion. <BR>Try to give Seville 3 nights.Dont miss the Alcazar.Cadiz is a wonderful place & has fewer tourists than the rest of your route.<BR>Ronda may not deserve 2 nights.<BR>From Cadiz its not far down the Costa de Luz to Tarifa - only 15km from Africa!(try Hotel Hurricane 2 miles north of Tarifa)This coast is very windy (windsurfers paradise) but has beautiful beaches & is still relatively undeveloped.<BR>If heading that way I'd avoid Algeciras<BR>& Gibraltar.<BR>Like Davidx I'm not overfond of Granada, but I know people who love it & the Alhambra is a knockout.<BR>A lot depends on what you like.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 03:20 PM
Him

Cadiz is very borderline on such a short trip. I'd not bother. Malaga is also not a good place. Not much there and high crime. Just stay there the night before leaving. Nerja would be a better choice. Add another day to Seville. You'll lose a half day in travel, so it's really 1.5 days there, which is not nearly enough. <BR><BR>You should also consider this. The AVE to Seville has a stop in Cordoba. We got off there to see the Mezquita and Bario, which are highlights of any trip to Andalucia. Then we just hopped back on the train for the 45 minute ride to Seville. The sights are only about a 20 minute walk from the train station. <BR>

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 05:37 PM
CathyM

In my opinion (after all everyone has different views of the same places) I would agree that Madrid is fine in 2 nights. If you have 3 days in Madrid I'd definately consider day trips to Toledo and/or Segovia. I'd also definately stop in Cordoba on the way to Seville. It's very convenient to do in a few hours on the way. There are storage lockers for your luggage at the top of the stairs on your left from the platforms. I shared a cab with a couple that I met at the storage lockers and we paid the equivalent of $3.50 for a cab to drop us off in the barrio. Personally, I'd add a night in Seville and drop one in Cadiz or Ronda. I enjoyed Ronda but one night is enough. I've never been to Cadiz so I can't comment on it. I'd also consider skipping Cadiz or cutting a night in Ronda, and traveling from Sevilla to Arcos, along the way stop in Jerez and visit a sherry bodega. I was surprised how much I enjoyed Jerez. The drive from Arcos to Ronda is incredible, part of the Pueblos Blancos route. <BR><BR>Let us know what you decided and have a great trip.

Old Jan 26th, 2002, 08:34 PM
lisa

Wow -- it looks like everyone has a different opinion. Here's mine:<BR><BR>2 nights in Ronda is too much. You can definitely do the entire town in a full day or a day and a half (one night).<BR><BR>Don't skip Granada, no matter what anyone tells you. The Alhambra is fabulous, as is the Albacin, the Cathedral, the fortress, etc. We LOVED the tapas bars and the "energy" of a real city.<BR><BR>We enjoyed the mosque in Cordoba and saw a really enjoyable flamenco show there, but Cordoba was definitely our least favorite city of Andalucia. We thought the winding, narrow, deserted streets of the Jewish Quarter were creepy and definitely saw all we could see in one day. It's worth no more than that.<BR><BR>I wouldn't spend time in Malaga -- it's definitely just a town to go through. Instead, spend you time at a nice resort in Costa del Sol (but not touristy Marbella). We LOVED Las Dunas -- great service, beautiful resort, nice spa, good restaurants, etc.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Elwood

Again Madrid seems to be getting a bad rap (only deserves 2 nights, etc.). I am planning a few days there as I just have a hunch it is actually an interesting city. I don't expect it to have the glamour of Barcelona but being a true Spanish city, it's got to be a place to visit. Why not Madrid? I need to book my flight this week.<BR>Ciao!

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 12:33 PM

Here's a vote against Madrid. A very dull place. If you love art galleries, fine. Otherwise, there isn't much to see. <BR>

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Patrick

We spent six plus days inMadrid in February two years ago and loved it. We did one day trip to Toledo and another to Segovia/Avilla combined- both were great. The old city of Madrid if fun to walk around, the restaurants were great. They have three great museums there and even if you are not that interested in art (we aren't) all three were fascinating to visit. Your guidebook can recommend other sites. If you want to go to clubs (we didn't but my college age daughters did) there are many choices and the night life is exciting. <BR>Someone said that the Madrilenos have been going wild at night since Franco died. Have fun.

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Laura

www.andulacia.com<BR><BR>Most excellent site.

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Him &amp; CathyM,

Approximately how big are the storage lockers in Cordoba? We'll have med. size bags &amp; carry-ons.

Also, did you purchase one ticket straight to Seville and then just hop off - or do you have to buy 2 segment tickets?

Thanks if you're still out there. Or any one else in the know.

Old Aug 6th, 2003, 01:17 AM

It's not just where you go; when you go is also important! San Isidro (Patron Saint of Madrid) is 15 May. Madrid has many special events happening centered around that date and continuing thru the end of the month.

If your visit extends to the end of May you might like to see (or participate in) the feria del Campo. It's a procession of more than a half million people, all dressed in Andaluz garb, to el Santuario de la Virgen del Rocio in the province of Huelva (near the village of Almonte). The fiesta peaks on Pentecost Sunday (30 May).

The only other suggestion I might make is that you stop in el Puerto de Santa Maria rather than Cadiz. You can get a ferry across the Bay of Cadiz from just in front of the Hotel Santa Maria which I also recommend.
Old Aug 21st, 2003, 07:26 AM

You do have to get one ticket per segment.
The lockers are big enough for big suitcases. You can always get two if it doesn't all fit in one.