Search

car vs. trains in Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car vs. trains in Switzerland

Hello,

Our original plan was to stick with trains for the first 5 days of our holiday since the first 5 days were based in Wengen. We land into Zurich and we were going to take a train to Wengen. However, my husband is now not so sure since we would have to change trains 4 times and since we are travelling with small kids (9 and 5 yrs) we will have a fair amount of luggage and my husband thinks its a bit much for him to be transferring 3 large suitcases from one train to the other so many times.

He is now suggesting that we pick up the car from the airport itself and then drop it off in Lautrebrunnen for 5 days (there is a parking charge of SF 60 to park it there for 5 days). We then pick it up again when we leave Wengen and use it for the rest of the holiday.

So my questions are in terms of what anyone else felt in terms of all the train changes with luggage to Wengen and also if we stick the plan above - what train passes should we buy? We will largely be taking trains and cable cars etc for all the usual day trips from Wengen for 4 days but at a slow pace.

After that we will be driving. The rest of our holiday is 3 days in Saas Fee (day trips to Gruyeres and Chateux de Ox) and then 2 days near Montreux with day trips to Montreus, chateau Chilon and Rochers de Naye, maybe Glion. Then we will be in Melchsee Frutt for 3 ngihts and will do day trips to Lake Thun and Lake Brienz, maybe to Ballenberg (?)

So what train pass should we buy or is it better to just point to point tickets?

Thanks a ton for all your replies.
Deepa
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've travelled with 4 large suitcases, one husband and two very small children by train.

- Your children aren't that small and can actually help a bit with the suitcases.

- Yes, it's a bit of a pain in the neck to move the cases but you'll have to load up the suitcases in Lauterbrunnen anyway.

- If it must be a car, see if you can rent a car for one day only to save costs (unless cost is not important and then this discussion is basically irrelevant.)

I can't advise about passes but your kids get to travel for free as long as they have Junior Cards (SFr. 20/each). The cards are good for one whole year.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:53 AM

Hi Deepa,

You know how much I hate to see cars on the road in lovely and pristine Switzerland, so of course I'm gonna try to convince you to ditch it.

You can send your cases by train separately, either the normal way or by Fast Baggage.

The normal way costs 10 chf per bag and will take two days; the Fast Baggage takes one day (in by 09.00, retrieve after 18.00) and costs 20 chf. Here's a link for more info:

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/...isegepaeck.htm

In any case, one thing I've found to be true as I age -- you don't grow stronger as you grow older. I'd urge you to use your muscles as much as possible to stay young and fit longer . . .

And

. . . . don't you want your children's children to have clean air in Switzerland too??

((That was too much, eh? Couldn't help it, lol!))

s
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:56 AM

BTW,

Gruyeres and Chatead d'Oex are between Interlaken and Montreux (on the Golden Pass route); seeing them from Saas Fee is a bit mis-placed.

s
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 09:49 AM

Agree with the excellent advise from schuler and swandav as usual. Did you realise that Saas Fee is also car-free? You'll have to haul you luggage on a small electric car after parking at the lot - you cannot drive to your hotel's entrance. Also, seeing Gruyeres and Chateau-d'Oex from Saas Fee is VERY weird. It's actually easier from either Wengen or Montreux. And why bothering going to Saas Fee at all if you're not spending the days there? <shaking head>

These four changes to Wengen are indeed no problem IMO. Often trains arrive at and leave from the same platform, just vis-a-vis. Even if not - I've managed changing trains with large bags many, many times. It would be a total waste IMO to rent a car and then leaving it in the lot in Lauterbrunnen.

A Swiss (Saver) Flexi Pass would be excellent for you. Or the Half Fare Card for a month for each of the Adults. You have to do the calculation yourself. And take schuler's advice on the Junior Cards.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

After an overnight flight and jetlagged there is no way that I would attempt to herd 2 kids and all that luggage through multiple train stations. Have you looked at the schedules? In mnay cases these changes allow only 5 minutes or so - and I wouldn't want to have to coordinate it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM

You would actually do it in 3 changes, not 4: one at Bern or Spiez, one at Interlaken Ost, and one at Lauterbrunnen. Avoid the routes that require a change at the main station in Zürich as that is the difficult one. There are frequent trains that you can board right in the Zürich airport that go directly to either Spiez or Bern with no change.

These changes---expecially at Spiez and Interlaken Ost---are very easy. Often you get off the train, cross the platform, and board your next train---no changing between platforms.

Taking the car will require 3 transfers of luggage too: one from the baggage claim to whatever conveyance takes you to the rental car, one into the rental car, and one from the rental car to the train station at Lauterbrunnen and then onto the train to Wengen.

For a pass, compare the 3-day Flex pass (212 CHF if you get 2) with a half-fare card (99 CHF). The 3-day comes with 3 full days of fully-covered travel (not including high mountain lifts and trains) plus half-fare on other trips, so that is often the best. You can get a family card for free with the Flex Pass; I'm not sure about with the Half-Facre card.

If you are going up the Jungfraujoch, the Flexpass will give you only 25% reduction from kleine Scheidegg on up to the top; the Half-Fare card covers 50%. It is not easy to "do the math", and we often just opt for the convenience of the FlexPass (3 days or more when we don't have to stop at the ticket window).
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM

Sorry, but that's too funny:

"After an overnight flight and jetlagged there is no way that I would attempt to ..." DRIVE!

Like enzian said.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM

"3 large suitcases" - have you considered just taking less stuff? You should be able to manage with one carry-on size case for each person, plus a day bag each.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM

I'm sure the Swiss trains are wonderful, but we love traveling by car. My husband is really into photography and loves being able to stop along the roadside when he sees a great photo.

We feel it gives us extra flexability to change our plans at the last minute and it cuts down on the walking and lugging of suitcases IMO. My husband has some mobility issues so the less walking and stairs he has to do the better.

I feel it's a personal choice and one should choose whichever mode of transport makes the most sense for them.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:50 PM

Good reply from Enzian and Ingo.

You'll do fine on the trains. If you really think you'll have problems transferring the suitcases, talk to a conductor and he'll make sure the connecting train will wait for you.

At the airport, go to one of the grocery stores (Migros is the cheapest) down near the train station and get some provisions for your train trip. You can eat and drink on the train.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM

Bettyk---we are just trying to point out that it doesn't make sense for them to make their decision based on luggage, expecially when they will be spending 8 days of their holiday in car-free villages. And they will be buying a train pass anyway to use the cablecars and mountain trains to best advantage.

Besides. . . kids that age love trains. (Mine are grown and still do!)
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM

enzian, I'm sorry you felt the need to address me on this, but I believe I only stated our preference for car travel. I did not say that there was anything wrong with travel by train.

I also said quite plainly that it was a personal choice that each traveler needs to make based on their circumstances.

Also, I'm sure no one would disagree that most children love trains.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:01 PM

Nothing to be sorry over, or to argue for that matter.

I was agreeing with you that it is a matter of personal choice for each traveler. But your criteria for choosing a car---photographic flexibility and limited mobility---are so different from DeepaSinagapore's (children and luggage) that your preference for car travel isn't really relevant to their choice.

At least we are in agreement that the children's enjoyment of trains weighs in favor of that.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 04:11 PM

Your logic escapes me, enzian. I would think having flexability would be important when traveling with children. I also don't see how the train would be an advantage over a car when dealing with luggage. Luggage is a hassle either way so I'd figure it was a "draw".

I didn't say that the children's enjoyment of trains weighs in favor of trains. I just stated that most children love trains. However, it may or may not be the most appropriate means of transport in this situation.

I realize that many of the responders here feel train travel is always the best choice. I happen to feel differently.

I'm sure the OP doesn't mind hearing both points of view.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

I am trying to figure out why most of the people on Switzerland board is SO anti-car!
Don't take me wrong, I appreciate and take in consideration all opinions. But I really don't understand why Switzerland is so different for the rest of Europe. I understand that rail system is outstanding, but rail system say in Germany or Austria are not that bad either (IMO). Parking situation is not very good in any European city. Gas and toll cost is probably comparable in most of European countries.
However, only for Switzerland, most of the people insist on ditching a car. Why???
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM

bettyk -- I consider cars to be pretty much like cigarettes: dirty, expensive, habit-forming, and hazardous for public health. So I wonder if you would consider smoking in a public restaurant to be a "personal choice."

helen63 -- the point is that there are many car-free villages in Switzerland (not in Germany or Austria); the car just sits in a for-pay parking lot. In addition, Swiss trains are cheaper, faster, and more convenient than German or Austrian trains (I live in Germany). And -- Swiss air is really pristine, particularly in the car-free villages, so there is a reason to keep it so.

s
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:45 PM

swandav2000, you are entitled to your opinion. But don't insult me by comparing my wanting to have a car on vacation to a smoker. I would certainly not insult you in the same way.

And, your insult will not keep us from driving in Switzerland in future. Until cars are outlawed in Switzerland, we will continue to do what we feel is right for us.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I think that sending in some bags separately in the train is the best compromise. In that case we get to go on the trains and don't need to lug all the heavy bags.

Swandav, my husband went to the site you posted above but couldn't get too many details about where it is located at the airport/train station. Has anyone used this before and do you know where it is exactly since we land at 8 am and I believe we need to give the bags in by 9 am?
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 08:52 PM

helen---not anti-car---I have 2 of them myself---but the Swiss travel network is so wonderful and integrated (trains, boats, lifts) that you don't need a car there. I would rent a car in Germany, Austria, or Italy, but in Switzerland we use the Swiss travel network exclusively. They have built a wonderful system in part for convenience but also to keep the air clean. All the schedules are coordinated and generally you can step off a train and walk to the boat landing and find a boat waiting there for you and others to board. The same with the cablecars to high mountain villages.

Also, we spend much of our time in the car-free villages where a car would be useless (and incur parking fees). The few villages that are not reached by train can be reached by Postbus (and again, the schedules are coordinated so travel is seamless).

Note that of the people here who have spoken in favor of trains in Switzerland, 3 (Ingo, Schuler, and Swandav) live in either Switzerland or Germany. I live in the US but visit Switzerland as often as I can. I believe in paying attention to the local sensibilities which weigh in favor of using public transport over renting a private car.

I can't see any reason to rent a car and drive in Switzerland unless, like bettyk, you have special needs that cannot be addressed by the public transport system. And let me add that we have had wonderful experiences meeting and talking with Swiss people on the trains and buses and cablecars ---all part of the experience. I don't see how you would get that in a car.

And since we have both traveled in Japan, I could compare, but not now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -