Car Rentals in Avignon

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Car Rentals in Avignon

We are two couples flying from Boston to Paris; after spending three days in Paris we will take the train to Avignon. We are renting an apartment and using Avignon as a base for five days. Is there a car rental "center" near the Avignon train station? Can you recommend (or caution against) a car rental company? Last year we rented from Europcar in Sicily with no problems.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 12:38 PM

I will assume you mean the Avignon TGV station. Yes, the entire parking lot outside the station is devoted to car rental outfits. I don't need rental cars any longer, but when I did I always rented through AutoEurope or its sister company Kemwel. Same goes for renting from the Avignon center station.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I did mean the TGV station.
Thank you very much for your pertinent information! and quick reply!!
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 02:18 PM

Yes, Avignon-TGV is the best place to get or drop off a car because it is open 7 days a week with very long hours.
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 05:46 PM
kja

As I answered in response to the question you posted on someone else's thread:

For future reference, go to google maps, show the Avignon TGV station [or whatever you want!], and use the "search nearby" feature to find car rental agencies. Easy as can be!
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 05:57 PM

Yes, rented from Bordeaux few years ago and dropped off at Avignon for the TGV back to Paris -- easy peasy convenience. Husband thinks it was Avis.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 07:02 AM

FWIW, I've always rented European autos thru Gemut, an Oregon-based travel firm. They basically broker rentals thru various rental car companies.
Often they use AutoEurope, but not always, for the best deal.
I've found it easier (and less of an unknown) to deal with someone for whom English is their first language, not their second.
If you have specific desires (stick vs auto, gas vs diesel, van vs sedan), you can feel confident you'll get what you want.
They were also helpful in bad times, such as when we were sideswiped in Slovakia (sounds like a movie), and messy details got cleared up easily.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 07:06 AM

Forgot to add: when you get off the TGV in Avignon (you'll enjoy the ride) and get your keys from the rental desk, you basically just cross the station, out the door,walk down a flight of stairs, and look for your car in the parking lot. Last time our walk was maybe 800' in length.
Old Feb 15th, 2020, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I am forwarding all of these helpful tidbits on car rentals in Avignon to my husband who is in charge of the car rental for our traveling group of four.