Search

car rentals

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car rentals

my family is travelling to europe for the first time in March. We are staying for 3 days in London but want to rent a car to travel to some of the outlying areas. We have looked at car rental sites and we would like to rent one just outside of london so we can avoid driving in the city. any ideas which area would be best. Also we will drop car off and travel to France and rent there. Whats the cheapest way to france would it be the Chunnel. Any help would be appriciated very much... Janice
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:36 PM

The cheapest way between London and France might be Ryanair. But you need to research that carefully: factor in the fare to the airport vs. a downtown departure, the extras that Ryanair might tack on to the ticket which in any case will be more than what you see on the web. If you book early enough, you might find a one penny special which will translate to a ?20+ fare. But you are severly limited in terms of baggage, and the excess is expensive. Then add the cost of going to Paris from Beauvais. On the other hand, if you plan to see the French provinces, you might find such a flight definitely worthwhile. You can go from
England to Quimper to visit Brittany, or Limoges to see the Périgord, etc. Check out the flight availability and cost on

http://www.whichbudget.com/

You might even decide that it might be best to fly from Manchester or another provincial city rather than go back to London.

Another alternative is to drop the car off at the coast and take the ferry to one of the French coastal towns: Calais, Dieppe, or even St. Malo.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
W/o telling us where you plan on driving in England, it is hard to give you the best advice where to pick up a car . . . .

The cheapest way to France would be a ferry from Dover to Calais - but unless you are going to that part of France it probably doesn't make much sense.

Where in France are you headed - it is a BIG place.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM

With only 3 days in London I wouldn't do any day trips - unless you've been before and seen many of the major sights. To me 4/5 nights is the minimum to see much of anything in London.

And if you really want to get out of the city I would reco a half day in Windsor (by train) or Greenwich (by boat).
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 04:50 AM
ira

Hi S,

>We are staying for 3 days in London but want to rent a car to travel to some of the outlying areas. <

Why?