Reload this Page >

car rental-scotland-is this car o.k.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 03:48 PM
Kittie

Hello again, <BR> <BR>I know that I have gotten advice on this, but I did a search and I looked through my printed sheets and I can't find the answer..please refresh my memory... <BR> <BR>It is now time to rent our car for Scotland. Is a Vauxhall or Opel Astra 1.6 automatic sufficient for the Highlands? I remember someone telling me that a car should have a good enough motor to get up and down the hills. <BR>Kittie

Old Oct 4th, 1999, 05:38 PM
sandy

We had a Vauxhall in Scotland -- which is a mid-size car there -- and found it to be perfect. You don't want a car that's too big, because some the roads are pretty narrow, especially in some of those quaint little villages. The problem is not the size of the car, but the fact that you are renting an automatic. If you will downshift when you feel the car start to lose power (yes, you can do it in with an automatic!), you should have no problem. (You can also downshift going downhill -- it helps slow you down and saves the brakes. <BR> <BR>If you already know all of this, I apologize for being didactic . . .

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 12:28 AM
Sheila

It's a perfectly fine small family saloon. Should not cause you any problems on any of the roads. Don't try taking it off road, though. <BR> <BR>When did you decide to hire after all? And when do you get here? <BR>

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 04:14 AM
Inky

Another Kittie wind-up? <BR> <BR>Do you think the Scots would be so stupid as to import cars that cannot be driven up hills? <BR> <BR>Give them some credit.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 01:12 PM
steve

We rented a vauxhall this last summer and it was fine for our trip to Scotland.

Old Oct 5th, 1999, 02:24 PM
Kittie

Thanks to you all for refreshing my memory! <BR> <BR>Sandy and Steve,thanks for the advise! <BR> <BR>Sheila, we ended up going with Alamo. I tried Woods and Melville's, but they are about $100 more expensive. <BR>We will arrive in Glasgow on 10/29 and will leave on 11/5. We don't have any exact dates that we plan on visiting certain areas/cities yet. Any suggestions? You can email me if you wish. <BR> <BR>Inky, <BR>No, I don't think the Scots would be so stupid, but I do think American conglomerates would be so stupid. Especially if they mistakenly had the notion that people would only drive the cars in the cities that they rent them in. <BR> <BR>Kittie

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 12:28 PM
Inky

I cant think of a single car that one could not take to the Highlands. I think you have too much time on your hands if you think drivel like this is worth posting. Shame on you. <BR> <BR>What automobile manufacturer decides to make a car that can only be driven on the flat????

Old Oct 6th, 1999, 12:35 PM
Brian in Atlanta

I had a friend in high school who had trouble getting his Nissan Pulsar to make it up hills with a passenger. If that little toy car had luggage in it, it would have been a lost cause.

Old Oct 10th, 1999, 10:52 PM
Kittie

Thank you Brian... <BR> <BR>I had a car in my younger days that would not make it uphill if the grade was more than 15%. Yes, it was a Toyota manual. <BR> <BR>As for "yanking my chain", Inky, you are a pro... <BR> <BR>Hugs! <BR> <BR>Kittie