Car rental Rome to Florence--Please Advise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was going to take the train from Rome to Florence and be done with it but I really want to experience small towns in between, and at my own pace. I'm thinking of staying in Perugia for two nights and driving around. I leave in a few days and I'm hoping that the roads are a little quieter.
I do not want to drive in either of the big cities, not even to return the car.
Where can I pick up a car just outside downtown Rome and where can I return it just outside of Florence?
What company/ies are trustworthy and efficient?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM

Train to Chiusi and get the car there. I would stay in a smaller town than Perugia---perhaps Montepulciano.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:35 PM

Venezuela

You can easily train from Rome to Perugia to Florence. From Perugia you have the option of visiting a couple of other places by public transportation.

There are about a zillion choices for picking up a car just outside of Rome, and I really don't like any of them. I found a decent map with lots of rental places on Trenitalia's site for their train/drive option. I decided not to use them. It is too difficult to get to most of these places, and if you pick a car up in taxi distance, you are still dealing with Rome's urban sprawl and traffic.

Chiusi is ok if you want to go to Montepulciano, but not if you want to go to Perugia.

Where can you return a car just outside of Florence? At Florence airport.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Sounds good--
Train to Chiusi and rent the car over there. Then I can drive to Montepulciano--Bob, is Perugia not a good place to stay?
Tuscan, what do you think?
Also, I would like to visit a terme in the area. Maybe a terme resort?
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM

It is a big city--too big for me. I do like the centro storico but you can see that in a day. I just prefer smaller places--like Assisi, Siena, Montepulciano, Arezzo.
Old Jan 2nd, 2009, 06:38 PM

Or, Chianciano Terme---next door to Montepulciano.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Bob, is this terme a resort or a public terme?
It would be nice to have everything in one place...
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 02:13 PM

Venezuela

Well, I do like Perugia. The National Gallery of Umbria, located there, is one of the great museums of Italy. Seriously.

I think it is a great town, especially if you are alone.

Assisi would be good, too. But the problem with staying in Assisi, Montepulciano, or some other towns, with a car, and alone, is that you can't easily combine an in-town stay with a car. On my own, I would much prefer to stay in a town, even a small one.

That's sort of why I'm discouraging you from renting a car.

You mentioned Perugia first, but perhaps you have some other towns high on your list?

Bob mentioned Siena, which has decent bus connections but is hard for trains, and IMO, hard for parking.

Arezzo is one of my favorite places, especially if you can be there on the first Sunday or preceeding Saturday, of the month, when it holds one of Italy's largest antiques and collectibles markets.

Again, I wouldn't want to stay outside of Arezzo or Siena on my own, and they aren't easy towns for parking in the actual centers. Arezzo has a more modern feel, but in a way, that's good. Lots of fantastic evening shopping and a huge passegiata.

You could easily train to Arezzo from Rome, stay there with or without a car, and do some nice daytrips.

In fact, the car rental in Arezzo can be arranged next to the train station.

There are also rental places that require a taxi ride to the newer industrial park area, so be careful to specify the train station for your rental pick up.

The more I think about it, the more I like Arezzo for you. Probably the most fun way to spend a late afternoon and evening on your own, after touring about during the day.

Montepulciano would not suit me if I were alone.
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Tuscan!
My dearest husband is coming along but I do all the planning. I should have used "we" instead of "i" when I first posted...
Arezzo sounds perfect.Actually, it all sounds divine but we leave in a few days and I need to get my act together pronto.
Where have you stayed in Arezzo?