Car rental in York

Search

Car rental in York

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental in York

We will be arriving in York by train on May 9,2008. Would like to rent a car at the train station if possible. We will be in York for a week and then driving to Cheviot, for another week using the same car. We would drop the car off in New Castle or town where we can get a train to London. Any suggestions?
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:10 PM
ron

Europcar's office is in the York train station.

Europcar York
York Railway Station
Station Road
YO24 1AB

Telephone:
+44 (0) 1904 656161

Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
ron

I should add, if you decide to go with Europcar, get a quote from http://www.1st-ukcarrentals.com/. I think you will find that they will beat the price of booking directly with Europcar. I have used them twice, with no issues, at Heathrow and in Swansea.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:27 PM

Cheviot is a mountain in the north of England. What do you mean when you say you are going to Cheviot?

And it's Newcastle - one word and to be precise it's Newcastle-upon-Tyne, not to be confused with Newcastle-under-Lyme, Newcastle Emlyn, Newcastleton or Newcastle in one of several places in the UK
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 01:29 PM

BTW why do you need a car in York - it's about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard (actually less as you can eat a chocolate fire-guard and a hire car will cost a fortune to sit in an expensive car park)
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

ron, thanks for your info, I will definately check it out
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

alanRow,
Thanks for your responses, sorry if you feel I made some errors, but we were in the Northumberland/Cheviot area last year and are returnng to the same house we rented then and I was told it was the Cheviot hills and we had rented our car from Herts in Edinburgh and drove it to the Northumberland/Cheviot house and returned it to Newcastle and took a train into London where we had a flat for a few days.
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 02:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just to clarify what alanRow meant . . . the Cheviot <u>Hills</u> is an area - not a &quot;place&quot;. And Cheviot w/o the &quot;Hills&quot; bit isn't even a place. What you said is sort of like saying &quot;we are staying in Cotswold&quot;. No such place.

I agree that if you are visiting York you may not want to pick up your car at the station upon arrival. What are you doing w/ the car while in York? Does you accommodations have parking?. I'd personally explore York for a day or two before hiring a car to see more of Yorkshire.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

I guess I did not give the proper info... we are arriving by train to York and will be driving to Hinderwell in North Yorkshire where we will be staying we have rented a house there. We have a list of places to see (which we usully change a bit when we get to where we are going) and will be driving to Cheviot Hills. That address is The Old Rectory, Ingram, Alnwick NorthumberlandNE66 4LT. Sorry for the confusion, but do appreciate the responses.
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - in that case you will want to get the car in York. I would not worry about the rental agency being AT the station. York is not a large place and any location will be a short taxi or bus ride away. I'd contact AutoEurope for a car to be collected in York and dropped at Newcastle. AutoEurope is not a rental agency - it is a broker that deals w/ many different companies so they can often get you the best deal.