Car rental in Italy

Search

Car rental in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2019, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car rental in Italy

Can anyone advice on the best company to rent a car in Italy?
We are planning to drive to Switzerland for a couple of days and then back to Italy, would that be a problem when renting a car?
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 08:21 AM

AutoEurope: it's a broker based in Maine.

To drive on the highways in Switzerland you need a vignette. Other than that you can drive anywhere you want to.
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 08:31 AM
J62

Agreed - AutoEurope.com.

Sign up for their marketing emails as they have sales/specials from time to time.

I've booked through them for an upcoming trip to Italy. The actual rental is with Hertz so I'll go the Hertz desk when I arrive. I've prepaid AutoEurope and they've provided a voucher to me that includes full $0 deductible collision insurance. For a 5 passenger station wagon with automatic transmission I'm paying ~$35 per day inclusive. I can see the reservation on Hertz website, including the AE voucher #.

Also, be aware that in Italy it is a legal requirement to have an International Drivers Permit ("IDP") (available at AAA for $20, and you don't need to be an AAA member). You may never need to show the IDP, but it is required by law.

Also, be sure to familiarize yourself with how toll roads work, and more importantly the ZTL (limited traffic zones) in may historic city centers.
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you guys! Super helpfull. Will look into them.
Old Apr 29th, 2019, 11:42 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I booked directly with Hertz.
Be sure to get an International Drivers License before you go. You can get one at a AAA office.
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, starrs. Did you return the car to the same location?
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 02:10 AM

The big advantage to AutoEurope is the free 24/7 English-language help line (that and they will price match other vendors). Depending on where you pick up and drop off, and the extent of your Italian, the help line can be really useful. I've been in car rental offices in Italy where no one spoke a word of English - not fun if you need to discuss brake locking or damage to an undercarriage.
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 03:03 AM

Agree with StCirq, AutoEurope customer service was really helpful for me too.
Old Apr 30th, 2019, 08:39 AM

And just to weigh here ... you definitely need to be aware of the ZTL zones, bus lanes, etc for traffic violations in Italy. I'd stopped in front of the hotel in Rome to unload; did not realize it was a 'bus lane' (as in explicitly for bus travel only) - and as a result got a ticket.

Ciao ... Dorm
Old May 1st, 2019, 04:26 AM

J62gives good advise. I too have used AutoEurope as well as Kemwell for cars multiple times and rented both from Hertz and Eurocar. You will have additional fees no matter what when you pick up the car. One note that you may not realize is that you should check rates as the trip approaches as they can go down. I have saved $100’s this way. kemwell and AutoEurope work together. If you see a lower rate they will honor the new rate and credit you and issue a new voucher. Also I use my IPhone google maps for gps. Most new cars have “CarPlay” and you can plug it right in. It is more acturate than one in car. It is great especially in cities.
Old May 1st, 2019, 06:01 AM
J62

Regarding google maps...

For travel abroad or to places in the US without good cell phone coverage (eg mountains/remote areas), I download google offline maps to my phone for that area before I travel. That way I do NOT need to have a cellular data service in order to use the google maps for directions. Give it a try before you leave home to see how it works. It won't show you real time traffic info if you're not connected to the cell network.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 03:05 AM

We always rent directly with Hertz in Italy in particular and in Europe in general. Never had any problems, service was perfect everywhere, English speaking staff is a huge plus. Last year they upgraded our car for free (at Hertz MXP in Milan) and we enjoyed beautiful drives in a sleek Alfa Romeo Giulia.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:00 AM

<< English speaking staff is a huge plus>>

Sure, if you need it. Point is, if you rent directly from the supplier, they may not have English-speaking staff. With AutoEurope, that's a moot problem.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:14 AM

Same with Hertz. We never had any problems communicating with Hertz employees in English. We had also rented with AutoEurope once and no problems with finding English speaking staff either.

We rent with Hertz because of significant discounts we always get from the Marriott Rewards program.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:27 AM

I have picked up Hertz cars from Chiusi and encountered a completely non-English-speaking employee, twice. Same in Gaeta. I speak Italian, but many renters don't.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 05:29 AM
J62

@ vinomobile. When you rented directly from hertz how did you handle the CDW? Did you get a $0 deductible policy from Hertz, or some other way? Can you fill us in on how the whole insurance thing worked with them?

I too get deep discounts at Hertz through work and the all-in price from AE (incl the insurance) came out to be a better price using them. One of the other added costs when renting a car is additional drivers which can be over $10 per day. If you have a Hertz Gold membership a spouse is already approved as an additional driver at no added fee. When I booked through AE I then called Hertz and had them add my Gold # to the reservation to cover this.
Old May 3rd, 2019, 06:04 AM

Hi J62,

We always relied on our credit card insurance and never bought additional coverage in Italy, except for one trip: in Sicily we paid 325€ extra for full coverage because car thefts and break-ins are very frequent there and we did not want to spoil our vacation thinking about it.

I did check with Chase to confirm that their insurance provides sufficient coverage for Italy.
Old May 10th, 2019, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Wow 325 euros sound a lot just for the coverage
Old May 10th, 2019, 04:04 AM

Only in Sicily, Denise. It was highly recommended by legendary Vagabonda, Sicily DE on Trip Advisor. I knew for a fact she was giving us a good advice. Also, we always rent automatic transmission cars, so bumper to bumper insurance should be less expensive for manuals. And it is also us... we try not to spoil our vacation with worries we can avoid, even for a price.
Old May 10th, 2019, 08:54 AM

Just to sing the praises of AutoEurope and to advise that you recheck your quote prior to your trip, yesterday, I reviewed my 20 day quote for Germany, Austria and Italy and found that the rental rate had decreased 80 US$ from the time I booked about 6 months ago. I called AE customer service and they not only reduced my rate by the 80 US$, the agent found another 32 US$ bring my rate down a whopping 112 US$ or 16.5% for the same car. Enough for a great meal for 2 two and a wonderful bottle of wine on my upcoming trip.

Huggy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -