Car Rental - How?

Search

Car Rental - How?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental - How?

When we visit Greece later this month part of our trip will take us north to Delphi and Meteora. We had originally planned to use the KTEL busses to get us between Athens-Delphi-Kalambaka-Athens. However, looking at the schedules, the Delphi to Kalambaka leg just won't work as there is one bus per day.

We would like to rent a car for the minimal time possible (kind of worried about driving). I contacted Fantasy Travel but they won't let us pickup and drop off a car in Delphi, we have to do it in Athens. Is this standard?

What other car rental companies should I contact for rates? Europecar, and who else? I've never rented a car in Europe or driven in Europe before, so I'm not sure where to start with this one.

Thanks
Old Aug 7th, 2005, 08:54 PM

You have a pretty specific question w/ a very general title. "Car Rental - How?" could be asking about anywhere in Europe.

I'd re-post w/ a title something like "short term car rental near Delphi or other options?"
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:06 AM

Hi
We always use Autoeurope. It's a wholesaler and uses many auto rental cos.We've never had a problem with them and they have been very satisfactory. they have an 800# and an online site. We have been driving in Europe for many years and have always used Autoeurope.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 04:21 AM
ira

Hi M,

Check with www.novarentacar.com and www.autoeurope.com.

Old Aug 12th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your advice. We are now comparing quotes deciding on which company to use.

We don't want to drive in Athens - should we pick the car up at the airport?

PS. I wish I could change my title as it is a bit vague. Sorry.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 05:53 AM

No - unfortunately you can't change your title. (If the software was any good posters could edit their entries) I'd just re-post your questions as a new thread w/ a new title.

As you can see you got 2 useful posts the day after your OP. But neither answer was specific to your question about Delphi/Athens. If the title is more specific you might get 2 posts an hour.

You will probably get some useful information on this one - but if you want lots of people who know about driving in Greece, where to rent, etc then it helps to have it in the title.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Hi
Sorry, but we've never been to Greece. We've always rented from the airport. It may, be a bit more expensive at times because of taxes, but we like to avoid driving around major cities on the streets.. We learned our lesson years ago trying to return a car in Paris. Usually the airport is near a major freeway and is easier to get where you want.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:10 PM

If you search car rental on this site, you'll see that most people love AutoEurope. It's an American company (I am assuming that you're American) and they have agreements with companies like Avis, etc. The agreement includes that the car has low mileage. We rented a mid-size car and got a wonderful Alfa Romeo with 1,000 miles on it.
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 06:24 PM

This May we used Ace Rent a Car. They met us at the Athens airport and we had a very good experience with them. Renting at the Airport is a good idea because it from there it is freeway travel right through Athens and you never have to experience the agony of driving through downtown Athens traffic.
Old Aug 13th, 2005, 09:41 AM

This past May we used Thrifty and were very satisfied with their service. Their price at the time was less than other agencies. We booked online.