Car rental - Heathrow v. Gatwick

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning on renting a car from Woods car rental when we land in London (they had by far the best price).

My question is this: We have to land at Gatwick (there was no way around this because apparently out of Dallas British Airways only lands at Gatwick and they have the best price right now) so of course, we will pick up the rental car at the Gatwick location and head to the cotswolds, but the last leg of our trip is London, so we will need to return the car before heading into town.

Should we drop the car off at Heathrow (Woods lets you have a different drop off location for no extra charge) as it is closer to London, and closer to Windsor (which plan on visiting with the car before turning it in) or should we hit Windsor and drive back to Gatwick and take the Gatwick Express into London? Would it be too confusing to find the Heathrow Woods location after only having been to Gatwick or is it worth the extra drive to take the car back to Gatwick. I hope this isn't too confusing! It makes sense in my head!
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:45 PM

Elizabeth, drop the rental at Heathrow. Woods should be able to give you a detailed map of the Heathrow dropoff.

Drive carefully on your first day. It's a long flight from DFW and you may find yourself a little more fatigued than you think.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:55 PM

This one is really a no-brainer. It really makes no sense to drive all the way back around south London to return the car at LGW.

LHR is much closer to the Cotswolds and the express train from LHR to Paddington is only 15 minutes vs. 30+ mins for the Gatwick Express. All in all, returning the car to LHR will be MUCH easier. (I'd probably do it even if there was a drop off charge)
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:46 PM
tmh

I second the comment about driving after that DFW trip. We landed in Gatwick when AA still did. Gatwick has the feel of the boonies and my navigating skills were slow after the long trip. Made for those typical tense spousal travel moments. ;-)
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:14 PM

Others may disagree, but I do not like the M25.
My choice to drive to the Cotswolds from Gatwick would be to head south on the A23, turn west on the A272 to Winchester and then north on the A34.
This would be a much slower and less stressful introduction than hopping on to the M25 at 80mph.
Yes return the car to Heathrow using the A4.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:18 PM

Strongly disagree with icithecat: I drive frequently between the Cotswolds and Gatwick, and avoid ici's route because it really can be stressful (and I've been driving on the left on our narrow roads all my life).

But, yes, this bit of the M25 claims to be Europe's busiest road, and there are few times of the day when it's not busy. If you're not happy about the prospect of this 100 mile drive, on the left, after a 10 hour overnighter, spend your first night near Gatwick (the Sussex countryside is jolly pretty, and nowhere revives you as well as Brighton), and drive on to the Cotswolds the following day.

OTOH, possibly because of the M25's reputation, drivers are remarkably disciplined (overtaking on the inside - "undertaking" - is illegal and very very rare for example), speeds are by European standards low, and accidents extraordinarily unusual.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

flanneruk: What specific route would you follow from Gatwick to the village of Oddington (3 miles from Stow on the Wold)? My boyfriend is in charge of driving and I'm in charge of navigating so I'd love to look like an expert in front of him (and of course make things as stress free as possible). Unfortunately, staying a night near Gatwick is just not possible. We already have reservations at our cottage in Oddington that night and would really prefer to just get on with it. Incidentally, do you agree with the plan to return the car to Heathrow? Have you had any experience with Woods? Thanks for any feedback!
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:35 PM

flanneruk.
I thought most would disagree. Personally I hate multilane highways.
Two years ago I drove from Gatwick on the A272 etc all the way across England and Wales, stopping for things along the way and loved it. I find it relaxing to dawdle along and gawk at villages, deciding whether to stop or not.
Of course I am not trying to get to a destination by a certain time because every town has a bed for rent.
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:34 PM

may i suggest that you check if woods has a location at windsor..or if they would pick the car up there from you...if so you could then take the train into london from there....

woods locations is probably outside of heathrow as only the major companies have locations in the immediate airport domain...so it may be very easy to get to....if you are not familiar with heathrow, it can be confusing getting around....

gatwick is much easier all in all, but check windsor out....it will take you about 45-60 minutes at least to get from windsor to gatwick...without traffic on the m-25...