Car Rental Gurus - Specifically Hertz And Nova

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have now come to researching car rentals for our upcoming trip, and part of that is comparing prices/companies. I've checked with my credit card company and the CDW is a better deal through them.

I've checked Auto Europe, which is giving me the highest price so far (but for a Renault Scenic, so the comparison is not for the same class of car and the expense is higher), but I can decline the CDW. Avis will also allow me to decline the CDW.

However, when I look at Hertz (have not yet talked to anyone) it appears there is no way to decline CDW. Would I need to call for a quote?

When I look at Nova, although it is the least expensive, CDW is automatically included. The deductible for this for the class car I am looking at is 500.00 euro - just over $600.00. OUCH! They state it can be declined, however, by purchasing their "Super CDW" but there doesn't seem to be a way to decline it altogether.

Can CDW be declined on Hertz and Nova? Is this something to be done via phone or in person when I arrive? Or should I just go with either Auto Europe or Avis? Any information/suggestions welcome!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 09:29 AM

Send AutroEurope a copy of the quote from Nova...they may beat it. I did this last year and they gave me a lower rate and I declined CDW. AutoEurope is a broker so you may end up with Europcar, Avis or anyone else. I have had great experiences with AutoEurope.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, JoeCal! I had heard that Auto Europe will sometimes come down in price, but I wasn't certain how to go about it. I appreciate the input!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:12 AM
ira

Hi ch,

Nova won't allow you to decline the CDW.

As noted, call AutoEurope tell them what car and the rate. If they can't match it, they will tell you why.

Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ira. The language on Nova's web site did appear rather straightforward. And, Auto Europe does come highly recommended from Fodorites. I guess it's to the phone I go!

Thanks!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 10:53 AM

JoeCal is absolutely right. Auto Europe did that for us and we were happy with them.

Also, Chele, as a fellow Taurian with the same birthday yet, I have to warn you to avoid Hertz at any cost--we used them in France once and it was a nightmare!

Have a great trip!
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Artlover ~ thanks for the heads up. I am leaning strongly in the direction of Auto Europe, which was my first choice to begin with.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Okay, if you can all stand another question about car rentals? I would appreciate it!

I have found a couple of cars that look that they might fit our criteria, but with companies that I do not wish to book through. Is it possible to get the information on the car(s) I'm interested in and then calling Auto Europe to see if those cars are available? Since Auto Europe is a broker, I'm presuming this might not be a big deal. I'm just interested in how easily it is to work with them in this regard. Or does Auto Europe only deal with the cars they show online?

I know some of these questions must be a pain for those more experienced, but it looks like we will be firming this up this weekend and I want to have my proverbial ducks in a row.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 07:32 AM
ira

Hi chele,

As far as I know, the online brokers will offer you a car "or equivalent".

There is no guarantee that you will get a particular model when you show up.

However, I would certainly call AutoEurope and ask for a particular model.

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ira. Normally, I am not so inept at renting a car! It's just that I've sent a list of potential rental possibilities to my boyfriend, and the Mercedes A-Class really appeals to him. Problem is, it is offered through Hertz which I'm not thrilled about renting from. Wanted to see what Auto Europe could do, but wanted to find out from those in the know here.

Again, thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:13 AM

Just want to say that my husband and I really like the Renault Scenic; wish we could get the same configuration here.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Underhill ~ actually the Renault Scenic was our first choice, until boyfriend saw the Mercedes! Auto Europe is offering the Scenic online for $702 for the time we will be there, and Hertz is offering the Mercedes at $681. I'm not sure how the two compare to each other, but I think boyfriend is a little enamored with the idea of driving around a Mercedes for 2 weeks!

I've been hearing some great things about the Scenic lately, so thanks!
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
ira

Hi chele,

Is the price from Hertz the final one, after taxes, surcharges, fees and insurance are added in?

Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:00 AM

During all four trips to Europe we rented through Hertz. Twice we had wonderful free upgrades. We declined the CDW everywhere but Ireland. I've not had any complaints with Hertz except last month in France the clerk gave us the wrong highway number to exit Charles de Gaule -- hence we spent an hour circling and lost.
Old Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Good question, ira. The general quote on Hertz includes location charge, "super CDW", and Personal Accident Insurance / Personal Effects Coverage. It does not include tax, but gives the rate at 16%, and also does not include any extra driver fee. The Super CDW comes to over a $100.00, so if there is a way to decline that it would be cheaper.

However, now that I took another look, I found out that it is not unlimited kilometers. YIKES! Hertz allows for 4200 free kilometers and .12 per kilometer over. Hmmm...I hadn't seen that before and could put a different spin on things. (We are basically doing a road trip and I haven't estimated what total distance might be) So, thanks for asking a question that made me go back and take a second look! Funny how one misses these points when they get wrapped up in just trying to find something!

Hopingtotravel ~ thank you for the input! Do you mind if I ask: did you reserve the car via the phone or online? And when were you able to decline CDW? During the reservation or when you picked up the car? On the Hertz web site (probably will be making calls this weekend) there doesn't appear to be any way to decline CDW to receive a quote. I'm wondering if one can do so during the actual reservation process or if it can be done at pick up.

Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:32 AM

FYI: No regular car rental company or broker can guarantee you a particular make/model of car or the particular features that a car has (e.g., automatic transmission, diesel, etc.). They don't maintain unlimited numbers of all types of cars on their lots, and cars can be unavailable because of needed repairs, other renters returning cars late, renters changing their plans anc returning to other locations, etc. They will try to get you what you want, but don't count on it.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 05:58 PM

Ask enough questions to be absolutely certain your credit card CDW will apply - it can vary by country. Because we travel independently we buy travel insurance the same way and last trip we added auto insurance to the policy for a very reasonable price. You can compare prices at sites like insuremytrip.com or squaremouth.com

For cars, we've used both Hertz and Avis but never got exactly what we reserved. It's best to reserve a car you are certain is large enough, because the substitutes often are smaller.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
And your both responding to a thread from 2005 for what reason?
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry.. 'your' should have been 'you're'
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 06:15 PM

I was expecting to meet surftennis here.....(?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -