Car rental from Paros to Athens

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2017, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to decide whether to fly or ferry from Paros. The flight is reasonable and so I am leaning towards that right now. Is the airport or ferry terminal a better location to rent a car? I think we will head to Delphi after renting the car. Then when we return we will drop it some where and then have a few days in Athens.
So my two questions are:
Is one place better to pick up a car (ferry terminal or airport)?
Where should I drop the car when coming back to Athens?
Thanks
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 05:18 AM

There are no car rental agencies at the airport, but several in Parikia near the ferry docks. The wouldn't be a deciding factor for me whether to take a flight or ferry, though. The Paros Airport is only about 10-15 minutes from Parikia, while Athens Airport is over an hour from the Piraeus ferry docks. The convenience of taking a flight directly from Athens Airport to Paros would offset any slight inconvenience at the Paros end.

If you prebook a rental car, ask the agency if they will meet you at the airport.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 05:37 AM

I see now you are asking about a flight or ferry from Paros to Athens, not vice-versa. You can drop off the rental car in Parikia and ask the rental agency if they will drive you to the airport for the flight, or if you need to take a taxi or bus. If you decide to take the ferry, just walk across the street to the docks.

The deciding factor to me would be whether I would be staying in Athens after Paros. It's easier and cheaper to get into central Athens from Piraeus than from the airport. If flying out from Athens the same day, it's obviously more convenient to fly from Paros.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

We would be coming from Paros into Athens only to get a car and then begin mainland Greece for 3 weeks. So with that said, if I fly from Paros am I able to get a car from the airport or is it easier to just take the ferry and rent a car from the ferry in Athens?
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 06:59 AM

From posts written by stanbr and others I know it's easy to rent a car at Athens Airport, but I haven't done that myself. It's coming up to 9 am in Vancouver, so let's wait for stanbr to reply.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 07:10 AM

Renting a car at the airport allows you to avoid Athens traffic and all the confusing one-way streets. Once you have the car you can immediately get out on the National Highway and bypass Central Athens on your way to Delphi.

If you live outside the EU be sure to bring an International Driving Permit with you. If you live in No. America you can get one from your local AAA/CAA office, no test or membership required.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 07:13 AM

Don't drive by rental car through the hell of Piraeus and Athens.
Take one of the frequent ferries or catamarans between Paros and Rafina and take a bus or a taxi for the short leg from there to the airport (or take a plane if you prefer that).
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 08:02 AM

If there is a convenient flight time from Paros to Athens and it is within your budget, then the simple answer is to fly. That will save you time over the ferry trip and that time can be put to use doing something that interests you. It is wasted time if all you do with it is stare at the Sea from a ferry deck.

Regarding where to rent from, that depends on whether you will first spend time in Athens or not. If you intend to get off the plane or ferry and immediately drive out of Athens, then the airport is the better choice. If you plan to spend time in the city, then you won't want to rent until you are ready to leave and it probably makes as much sense to rent downtown as it does to go to the airport and rent from there.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

We plan to either get off the ferry or plane and leave immediately, thinking Delphi but may reverse and SE first.So, what about when we come back to return the car what should we do. The plan was to drop it somewhere and then have a couple of days in Athens before heading home.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 06:44 PM

Pick up the car at the airport, go to Delphi, return the car to the airport, then take the Metro into Athens for your last days.
Old Mar 19th, 2017, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much.