Car Rental for the Dolomites

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2023, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All. I'm putting the final touches on a plan to visit the Dolomites this fall. It will involve flying into Zurich, taking the train to Innsbruck, renting a car there and driving to Vienna, then flying out of Vienna. It will be a Hertz rental (have had good luck with them in the past). The pick up is at the Innsbruck Airport and the drop off is at the Vienna main train station.

I want to use the one way car rental because we plan to spend a couple of days each in Ortisei, Cortina, and Hallstatt en route, where we'll do some hiking and relaxing. I have two questions: 1) My usual rental car insurance won't cover me in Italy. What coverage should I take from Hertz? I'm thinking the LDW will be enough. And 2) Can anyone suggest activities or improvements? This is our first trip to the Dolomites except for a few days spent in Bolzano 10 years ago. Thanks!