Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Car rental....can one rent for less than 3 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 05:39 AM
jeanne

When I'm in Paris in the fall I want to go out to the D Day memorials. Although I'd prefer to avoid the expense of renting a car, it appears to be the best way to make that trip.<BR><BR>But every car rental I've looked at has a 3-day minimum. Are there any places I can rent a car for just one or two days? I was thinking I'd pick up/return in Caen, but could just as well use any city or airport on the train line. This is in late Oct/early Nov.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 07:38 AM
JP

Hertz, Alamo and Avis will all rent for 1 day.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Alec

Yes you can, but you are more likely to be charged the full 'rack' rate with high rental fee and no or little mileage allowance, except at weekends. Depending on how much you travel, three-day rental could work out little more than a day's rental. Daily rentals are really geared towards business users to travel between airport and business contacts.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Rex

Sometimes, the Rail'n'Drive choice from www.raileurope.com adds value for the price, assuming you have some use for the three days of rail it includes (minimum).<BR><BR>Starting somewhere above $200 (depends on the country), it is not necessarily cheaper than two single-day car rentals - - but it's like you get the three days of rail thrown in for free.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 04:04 AM
ttt

topping<BR>