Car Rental: Basic Questions

Feb 5th, 2000, 01:21 PM
Rudy

Car Rental: Basic Questions

We will be spending 2 weeks in Mallorca,Spain, and we are considering renting a car for the second week. The last time I rented a car in Europe was in 1975, and I have forgotten what was involved. My basic questions are:
1. What is required to rent a car? I have an international drivers license.
2. How is insurance arranged, and how expensive is it? I never worry about this for US rentals, because my own insurance covers it.
3. Will they accept major credit cards for payment?

Any other information or tips you could give me about car rental in Spain would be most appreciated. Since we will already be in the hotel for the first week, we will not be renting from the airport.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 5th, 2000, 01:30 PM
Bob Brown

I cannot speak for rentals in Spain because I have not done it. Elsewhere, we have gone through Auto Europe and ended up renting from Avis. My regular US license was sufficient as was a major credit card. Liability insurance is built into the contract. Collision insurance is an extra, unless you are
willing to rely on credit card coverage.
I had no problems at all with Avis or with the cars I rented from them. They were good vehicles.

Feb 5th, 2000, 01:53 PM
Brian in Atlanta

We rented a car in Menorca a couple of years ago and it wasn't any different than renting a car in the states. I just had a Georgia driver's license but don't even remember if I had to provide it. We relied on our credit card for insurance coverage.

Feb 6th, 2000, 02:14 PM
Gail Wil

Hi Rudy and also Pat, both of whom are looking for info on car rentals in Spain. There have been many posts on this subject in this forum. Do a text-specific search and you will come up with everything you'll need to know and lots of stuff you'd never have thunk to ask.

Feb 7th, 2000, 02:43 AM
bo_jack

Each of the last two years we have traveled in Spain and rented a car from Hertz. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is not required by the Rental Agency; a valid State-issued license is required. However, an IDP is recommended for Spain; and since it costs only $10 is a good thing to have; see other posts for details. Your regular car insurance will not cover you; however, almost every major credit card (V, MC, AEX) does provide insurance at no additional charge; this coverage is normally secondary coverage in the US, but becomes primary in Europe. Definitely cally your card issuer and confirm that you have coverage. If you arrange insurance through the rental company, it is expensive; otherwise, car rental in Spain, through Hertz, has been much cheaper than in the US in my experience. I recommend getting the largest car which is not a "premium" price; normally this is called a mid-sized car; you save a LOT of money if you are comfortable with a manual transmission. Yes, major credit cards are acceptable -- probably, they are required. Prepaid rates are best and, from Hertz they are fully refundable.

Feb 14th, 2000, 01:02 PM
Ben

Have had great success using www.expedia.com to book rental cars in Europe. Have booked a car in spain for 2 weeks at $13/day.

One tip: if you do book this way, make sure to bring a print out of the confirmation. It's much lower than you can book in Europe so having paper confirmation is useful backup.

Feb 14th, 2000, 01:16 PM
wes fowler

Rudy,
Two points not addressed in the prior postings. For best rates, arrange for your rental here; don't wait til your in Spain. Check the websites for Kemwel, Auto Europe,Europcar for rates. You may find better rates than those offered by Avis, Hertz or the names better known here in America.