Reload this Page >

Car rental advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Susan

This will be our first trip to England for me and my husband, and my 17 year old daughter. We'll be staying in B&B's for the first 3-5 days and would like to visit a lot of rural areas, so are thinking of renting a car from London Gatwick and driving to our first destination - probably Bath and touring Cotswolds and/or Cornwall (B&B's) and then onto Coventry to stay with friends. We're not sure if we should pick up the car at the airport or at our first destination. If we took a bus from Gatwick to Bath, could we drop off the car in, say, Coventry, and then take a train or bus back to London Gatwick for our return flight home. We're looking for convenient, affordable ways of getting around. Any car driving experiences and insights or suggestions regarding cheap car rental companies would be so appreciated.<BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Lori

Susan,<BR>I know many people don't do this, but whenever we have rented a car after a long plane trip from the US we stay overnight near the airport and take the car on the road the next day. Driving on the left takes some getting used to and doing it with jetlag is really not a wise idea. I'd get a hotel at Gatwick and take out the next day. We've always found it much wiser to have one person do all the driving (designated driver so to speak) because it is easier to get used to the left, the roundabouts, narrow country roads, etc. when you are not switching back and forth. One person can be the navigator, you will need a map reader and someone to yell out "watch out" <BR>Seriously, while it is not an ordeal by any means, it can be tricky because many of the back roads are narrow and have room for only one car in places. The major highways are like our interstates, no problem there (except I think the British drive faster). <BR><BR>As for who to rent from, well we have used Budget, Avis & Hertz. No problems with any of them.<BR><BR>One thing I would recommend highly is getting an automatic, even if it costs more. Driving a shift car, dealing with the left, etc. can be a bit of a problem if you are not used to it. Also, get the smallest car you can manage with the 3 of you and luggage. A smaller car is easier to navigate on the narrow streets, in car parks (parking lots), etc. <BR><BR>Picking up the car and dropping it off at Gatwick is no problem, it's not the world's hardest a/p to get around, it's quite do-able, but I honestly would not take off driving just after landing. Driving in rural areas when you have never been to England takes some getting used to and I just don't think it is wise to attempt it with jet lag. <BR><BR>There are several inexpensive hotels near Gatwick, Travel Inn for one. I think there is also an Ibis. Of course, there are the usual assortment of Hilton, RAdisson, etc. <BR><BR>Enjoy your trip, the countryside is beautiful.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:49 PM
Paula

Susan, We've rented in Europe from Avis and Hertz and whatever you do--don't use Hertz--it was a nightmare. I have seen alot of people post that they have been happy with rentals they've gotten on AutoEurope.com.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Rex

I cannot agree that Hertz is inherently a disaster. And keep in mind that AutoEurope (which is a company whose praises I sing all the time) is only a broker. They have no actual cars. They COULD put you with Hertz.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 07:05 PM
gogoellen

Yes! Don't try to drive your first day! Get a good nights sleep! I though we could sleep on the plane...we left S.F. at 4:30 and arrived in London about 11:00 the next day! Well, unless you are first class you will not sleep well on the plane. We really tried but were just in a fog the first day AND entering UK took forever in a long line! So I agree....spend the first night in London! Go see the Complete Works of Shakespere....I have never laughed so hard! Have a great trip! <BR>By the way...we took our 16 yr. old daughter and we all had a wonderful time. She didn't get as excited about the history as her parents...but thats ok!

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 09:42 PM
up

up<BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Rex

Search "cotswolds" (mentioned in the first post of this thread) and you will see two things: <BR><BR>the June 13-July 14 "hole" in the indexing<BR><BR>and the fact that you do NOT retrieve this thread (as of today, Sep 25).<BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 10:31 AM
David White

Susan,<BR><BR>As others have noted, driving in the UK as soon as you get off a long plane ride, is not ideal. The idea to pick up your car at your first destination is a good one. <BR><BR>A bus from Gatwick to Bath takes 4 1/2 to 5 hours. But, you can get from Gatwick to Bath by train. Takes about 2 hrs 45 min. For times and routing, go to:<BR><BR>http://www.rail.co.uk<BR><BR>Click on "timetables" and enter Gatwick as your start and Bath Spa (not Bath) as your destination. There are trains from Gatwick to Reading and then to Bath. (ignore the routings that require changing trains, taking the tube, etc in central London).<BR><BR>By the way, Hertz probably has the most train station locations of any car rental company. I've used them in the UK several times without problem. Hertz prices can be high. Sometimes the least expensive car rentals can be arranged through British Airways Holidays (if you are traveling BA). <BR><BR>Hope this helps. <BR><BR>David White <BR>http://www.KidsToLondon.com<BR><BR>oh yeah...driving tips...."Keep LEFT!" ;-)<BR>

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Pete E.

I've done the car thing every whichway, & what works best for me is to just visit London the first couple nights, then take a train to another area I'd like to visit, like Bath, then when ready to leave town rent the car there. Dropping the car off at Gatwick saves hauling all your luggage around & you have control of the time you get there. I agree with others about AutoEurope being the best to deal with...last time I got a car from Avis. FYI...both terminals at Gatwick have Avis & Hertz, so know which one you're flying out of.