CAR RENTAL

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 03:34 AM
Brenda

CAR RENTAL

We are arriving in Gatwick on July 18 and on to Scotland July 22 - Aug. 1. We will be in the Cotswold area 3 nights, Lake District 1 night and on to Scotland. Any ideas on a way to get a car rental of a van for the 2 weeks that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. So far my research has found the cost to be about $1040.00 American for the two weeks.
HELP......

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 04:43 AM
Sheila

Try searching yellow pages on line for something like Rent-a-wreck. Most big towns have them. they are unlikely to have web pages so you will have to phone; and remember, you get what you pay for.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 11:07 AM
Brenda

We don't want a wreck, we want a nice van, but over $500 a week seems extremely high don't you think.

Old Jun 18th, 2000, 04:45 PM
Bob

We have found vans to be more expensive than cars, but the only time we need vans are when we are with another couple and we split the cost plus gas and driving so it works out. If you find a "deal" on a van, let us know. Just be sure they have availability. We got a good quote on one in Germany only to arrive and find it was their only one, had been in an accident and we could wait at airport for 12 hours for repair or take a station wagon. We took the wagon, crammed 4 people's luggage in and drove off. In England I always pay extra for automatic transmission also. Shifting and driving on the wrong side of the road is a lot of hassle. Best to eliminate the shifting part. Trouble is, most of the vans will be manual. Good luck. Your quoted price to date did not seem that out of line to me. Just double check on the availability!!!!!!!!!!

Old Jun 19th, 2000, 06:55 AM
herself

Try Go-Today.com
I have rented from them and found the price to be cheeper then any other sites I looked into. Good luck

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 09:14 AM
David White

Brenda,

Unfortunately, the price you found is not that far out of line. I assume you have checked AutoEurope, EuropeByCar (both on the web), Hertz/Avis, etc. You might also want to check your airline...British Airways Holidays often has OK prices for car rentals.

Be prepared for petrol (gasoline) prices approaching $4 per gallon in the UK. This may influence your choice of rental vehicle (but an automatic transmission is still a good idea for Americans adjusting to driving on the left).

By the way, the Cotswolds and Lake District are both wonderful but they will be crowded during late July. The Yorkshire Dales, to the east of the Lake District also has terrific rural scenery and may be less crowded.

Enjoy your trip!

David White
www.KidsToLondon.comÏ

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 09:20 AM
Anna

Brenda,
You may want to look at Avis' website, they currently have a 27% off special for European rentals.

Old Jun 26th, 2000, 10:04 AM
Thyra

Brenda, you may want to check with the airline that is flying you over. Even if the airline tickets have already been purchased.Sometimes airlines have deals inplace with rental car companies. We did this and got a deal a month after we had bought our plane tickets. It would be worth a try anyway, Good luck.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 03:13 AM
chris

A word of caution if you are a US citizen renting a van in Europe on a Visa gold card.

Many people secure their rental car on their Visa Gold card to avoid the additional insurance cost of CCW and theft. Before I attempted to rent my car this past week, I called Visa, to determine the real extent of their protection coverage.

They are very nice and helpful. They so not cover certain vans, so I could contact them first if you had intended on using this additional protection.

Their number is 1-800-253-5664. The visa protection comes from visa itself, not your bank which issued you the visa.

Old Jun 28th, 2000, 03:25 AM
chris

A FEW TYPING ERRORS WITH THAT LAST MESSAGE SIX IN THE MORNING, SO I POSTED AGAIN--SORRY.

A word of caution if you are a US citizen renting a van in Europe on a Visa gold card.

Many people secure their rental cars on their Visa Gold card to avoid the additional insurance cost of CCW and theft. Before I attempted to rent my car this past week, I called Visa, to determine the real extent of their protection coverage.

They are very nice and helpful. They do not cover certain vans, so you may desire to contact them first if you had intended on using this additional protection for a van rental. Since I had not intended on renting a van this trip, I did not think to pursue the issue further.

They did send me a brochure discussing what coverage they do and do not provide, but the it only states that certain vans are not covered. It is the same with trucks, mopeds, recreational vehicles, and exotic cars like Porsche, Rolls, etc. Select models of BMW, Mercedes, Cadillac and Lincoln are covered

Their number is 1-800-253-5664. The visa protection comes from visa itself, not your bank which issued you the visa.